Exmark or Dixie Chopper??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tjcezar, Jan 22, 2007.

1. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

I am thinking of purchasing 1 or two new ZTR's and was wondering about the dixie choppers. I have a 72" Lazer now but am thinking about getting a 72" Dixie Chopper and a 60" also. We are looking at some large accounts this year and was wondering how fast these things really are compared to my lazer I have now. They advertise how fast they are but was wondering if someone could give me the real scoop. Thanks for any help.

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

They are pretty fast and cut well here. I just dont like the way they look. They look like they would be easy to work on. Not sure about the Generac.

3. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I'm seeing less and less dixies around here. One dixie dealer went out of business and the other one don't stock any. He sells ferris, bad boy, and now the massey mowers. He'll order you a dixie if you pay upfront.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My Dixie XP2800 is rabbit quick and does really well on these southern grasses. It's very easy to maintain and I have had no issues with the mower at all.

5. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

I was thinking about the extreme model from dc. Doesn' anyone have experience with these?

6. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

My friend has one of these, and he has a lot of problems compared to the ones with Kohler engines. I can't remember what problems he has had though. I assure you that the SP2800 (Kohler 28EFI) is, IMO, by far the best mower.

I have one and it haven't had to turn the key twice to start it. I would stay away from Generac if I were you....

$.02

7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I have had 4 choppers. I would not buy another one. From my experiences, Exmark and Scag are my favorites. I demoed an Exmark and was truly impressed with the cut... that deck really did float... hard to scalp. I have a Tiger and it is a tough mower. I used to consider mowing speed as a buying factor, but if you are not mowing acres of wide open flat ground the mowing speed doesn't get much above 10mph.

8. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

I am looking at multiple props largest being approx. 18 acres. A couple of 11's., etc. Total acres per week would be approx. 140. For my small stuff I use 52" GD surfers they are very efficient and fast. I am looking for big mowers for wide open cutting.

9. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

I was looking at dixies because of their ads that they are the fastest. MY 72" lazer is fast but want more!

10. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I always thought that a dixie and lazer combo on a trailer is the best way to go. Exmark is a great flatlander and dixies will not stop on hills. I like the ultra vac over the dixie systems. Extreme is the only way to go. Buy the 60 inch extreme and demo the 72. Dixie is faster hands down. They throw clippings better and farther 15 ft +