Exmark or Dixie??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by muxx, May 2, 2007.

1. muxx

muxx LawnSite Member

I have a delima. I am looking at a 60" Lazer and a 60" Dixie. Both around the same price. I have used Exmark since 1988, I know what they can do and how they mow. I have heard alot about the Dixie's and I am testing one Monday. Any input on which one would be the better unit? Thanks

2. Tight Angles

Tight Angles LawnSite Senior Member

I own 3 Dixie Choppers and probably wouldn't buy another one. I just had to replace a hydo pump on one of the mowers, and the other 2 desperately need new ones too. They will not go up hills anymore, or barley any kind of incline for that matter. The last one I bought in 2005 brand new needed a new engine after only a few months of use. It never ran right since I bought it. I am actually in the process of replacing an engine on one of the other machines as we speak. I just don't think they can handle day in and day out use and aren't built for the long haul. I also have a 2003 Bunton and it is my best mower, and it costs $2000 less.

3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I've run both, the ride on the dixie w/ low pressure tires is a bit better than the exmark, but the exmark is a more "finished " mower. dixie always seems a bit rough, on fit and finish. some run forever, some die quickly. good luck.

4. craglawnmanor

craglawnmanor LawnSite Member

If they are both around the same price, then I would go with Exmark.
    I was at a dealer today that sells Cub Cadet, Bad Boy mowers, Dixie Chopper, and Exmark. The salesman rated them 1) Exmark, 2) Bad Boy, 3) Dixie Chopper, 4) Cub Cadet.

I've been running Exmark, and I'm looking to add a new ZTR. Exmark is my first choice, but Bad Boy has a very interesting mower, especially considering the purchase price savings versus Exmark.