Exmark or Dixie?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Mike Nelson, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

We are looking to purchase our first rider.We recieved a price for a Exmark Laser 25hp Kaw 60"for $7,399.00.

Also recieved a price for a Dixie 24hp Honda 60" for $8,500.00

I know both machines have alot of fans,so I need a little more convincing from you guys on which one to purchase.

Thank You
    Mike Nelson

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mike:

I copied your post to the Commercial Lawn Care forum. I think you'll get a more unbiased opinion there. If you would still like our opinion (and I bet you can guess what it is ;) ), I'd be more than happy to respond to this post. Just e-mail me at Dustin.Schwab@exmark.com if you want some more information about our equipment.

Talk to you later,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support

3. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Dustin

I would like to hear from everybody,I did not make my mind up yet.

Also my Exmark dealer is telling me I would be fine with a 23hp Kohler 60" cut. Just wondering if I would be better in the long run with a EFI engine?

Thanks
    Mike Nelson

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mike:

The dealer quoted you a real good price for that 25-hp, 60" Lazer Z, and the 25-60 is a real popular engine-deck combination. The 23-hp Kaw. is a strong, smooth running engine, but with a 60" deck, I don't know if it's for everyone. If you're going to be mulching or frequently cutting tall grass and speed is of the essence, I would go with at least a 25-hp Kohler or Kaw.

The 26-hp EFI gives you the power when you need it and is stingy with the fuel (which is getting more and more important gas prices increase from week to week!), but I really like the 27-hp liquid cooled Kaw. The MSRP on the 27 Kaw. is less than the 26 EFI. Since it's liquid-cooled, the engine should last longer (provided the owner does proper maintenance) because it stays at a more constant operating temperature. We have also heard reports that the 27 Kaw. is more fuel efficient than many air-cooled engines. Here's a link to a post that helps to reinforce what I am trying to say:

www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=26130

If you need more information about which engine to choose or why to choose Exmark over brand X, Y, or Z, just e-mail me (dustin.schwab@exmark.com) when you can or create another post.

Talk to you later,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support

5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a 36" metro and as soon as i get a little more money i'll be adding a 52" lazer HP to my arsenal. choppers are nice but i like exmark much better! if it's super striping you are after, invest in the stripe kit. customer service here is second to none.

6. boblee

boblee LawnSite Member
    from florida

The dealers here in florida are very good about letting us take a mower home and trying it out. We compared the Exmark against the Dixie Chopper. The Exmark did a better job on St. Augustine Grass, while the Dixie did better on the finer blade grasses. Also the dealers here, for the Exmark will provide us with a loaner mower if ours is in the shop for more than 24 hours, the Dixie Chopper dealer would not do that. The Dixie Chopper also left a little more wheel track than did the Exmark in our St. Augustine grasses.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I've been a huge eXmark fan for a few years now. They have excellent customer service and are always here to answer questions. Before I bought an eXmark I tried the DC's, but frankly the dealer sucked. I like the eXmark people and they were one of the deciding factors. I met many of them at Louisville and they were top notch.

I'm not saying this because they have given me hats, because they have been stingy with the shirts (hint hint Fred) :angel:
    haha

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, where ARE those shirts! I still want the wall poster(s), but I can't email you my address and such, because for some reason, Outlook Express doesn't work on my computer! (Probably the operator). Anyway, this leads me to a question, and I hope you can help me with THIS one, too. I spoke with an Exmark Rep at an openhouse, and he (they) said there would be no problem in this. What I want to do, is scan the Exmark logo for a pattern, and have it embroidered on my shirtsleeves of my company shirts. I was going to do this with several others, and make what almost looks like a racing shirt, with different sponsors. I just think this would look great. I realize that the Exmark logo is trademarked along with the name, but they told me that shouldn't be any problem, since Exmark doesn't really make any money on their "merchandising", (not your main focus - other more imPORtant things to be concerned with), and that your embroidering is sent elsewhere to some gal, anyway. It was like one of THEM said. "What's the difference if you do that, or cut it off of a hat." It's not like you're selling the merchandise." You can PM me back and let me know if you'd like. Just an idea. Thank you.