exmark or ferris

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jdmcb, Apr 25, 2008.

1. jdmcb

jdmcb LawnSite Member

I am a home owner with about 3 acres to mow. I am looking at either the Exmark Lazer AS 60" ultracut and with a 28hp aircooled kawasaki $7900, or the Ferris IS2000 60", with the 26hp liquid cooled kawasaki $8800. Can anyone tell me what the "AS" is with the Exmark. Is this a lower quality mower. Any thoughts between the two? Smoothness, quality of cut, depenability, ext. Both dealers are close and seem to be good.
    Thanks

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

For me it would be a no brainer I would get the Lazer AS. AS stands for advantage series. What they did was go back to there roots and prety much rebuild one of there older design mowers which is not a bad thing. It has the UltraCut deck which many people still consider the best deck anybody has ever built as far as cut quality goes. The ultracut will cut carpet smooth but does tend to clog or gum up in wet conditions which is a non issue with a homeowner such as yourself due to the fact you can wait till the grass is dry before you cut.

Save the money and get the Lazer AS

3. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I have both...I like each one for different reasons. The lazer will throw the clippings farther, but my back thanks me every time i use the ferris. In normal conditions the quailty of cut is very good from both machines. The Lazer will cut a little beter in heavy wet stuff. Both are a quailty machine and u will be happy w/either one. Good luck. :usflag:

4. jdmcb

jdmcb LawnSite Member

Any opinions on the engines. The ferris liquid cooled 26hp or the exmark 28 aircooled. Also, quility of hydro pumps and wheel motors??

5. mybowtie

from NY

Both of mine are 27hp air cooled. I dont think u need a liquid cooled. Some LCO's like air cooled over liquid. Less to go wrong. I Know Ferris has the IS200
    in a 27 air..just priced one the other day...$8600.

As far as the pumps and wheel motors go never had a problem with either one. I do like that u can grease the ferris spindles. lazer are sealed, but mine is a 03 and only had to change 1 spindle in 800 hrs.

6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I just bought the 60" AS/28 Kawi a couple weeks ago. Great mower, the cut quality is incredible. AS stands for Advantage Series... I guess it's exmark's "lower end" Z but it's still got the better deck on it. I compared specs between it and the top-of-the-line Lazer XS and there aren't a LOT of differences. Mainly the deck is different and the pumps and wheel motors are smaller on the AS. Take a look on Exmark's website, you can compare models easily to see all the differences.

A liquid cooled motor will have longer life than an aircooled one generally but for a homeowner who's using it once a week, either is going to last a very long time.

Ferris mowers cut like crap IMO, not sure how important this is to you. The Ferris with its full suspension will ride better though and be easier on your back.

7. mybowtie

from NY

I dissagree on the ferris's cut being crap. keep bledes sharp, and cut is as good as the lazer. Except in taller haevy wet grass, then the lazer wins hands down. For homeowner use either one would work fine.

8. jdmcb

jdmcb LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help. We have been using my father in law's grasshopper for the last year. Great mower, but out of my price range. I like the idea of liquid cooled, but Im leaning toward the exmark.

9. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

You really cant make a bad decision with either of those mowers. Both are going to last you a very long time seeing as you are only mowing a few acres with it every week.

10. deadheadbill

deadheadbill LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I have a Exmark Lazer Z 52 with the UltraCut deck(the model yours is based on). It has a couple thousand hrs and has only blown a hydro line and 1 spindle went bad both replaced under warrantee. Leaves grass looking like a carpet. Only problem as someone else mentioned, in damp conditions it tends to clump a little especially when I had the mulching kit installed.