exmark or ferris?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnScapesofAmerica, Mar 12, 2004.

1. LawnScapesofAmerica

LawnScapesofAmerica LawnSite Member

Hi all: Need some advice on the following two mowers? I have been using Ferris for the past 10 years and am very happy with the quality of work that they do. However I am always looking to improve our position in the market place, and so I have been made an offer by a local dealer to purchase his brand new exmark
    "leftover" Lazer Z 72" with a 26 hp EFI Kohler for 7500.00.

He also has another 2003 72" Lazer Z Liquid-Cooled for 7900.00
    once again, not a bad deal!!!!!

My question to all is do I make the swithch, from ferris to exmark, if I do I would change over a 5 of my mowers to the exmark and run just one brand............... any advice would be great, thanks

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm...something to think about. I have had around 15 or more Ferris machines in the last 9 years. I would think you should consider Dealer support right bout now...

BTW, I am a big Ferris fan as most here knows...

3. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

ExMark.......

You'll never look back....awesome machine with an awesome cutting deck!!

4. rodfather

I just love those "shoot from the hip" responses like these...And you are baseing this all on what??? Fill us in please...

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I'm an exmark guy,so you know what I'll say.
    Rodfather is correct concerning dealer support,but they do sound like some pretty good prices for the exmark's.

Here's a thought........Go red.

6. rodfather

LOL...good one:D

7. advantagelawn

advantagelawn LawnSite Member

Liquid cooled is the only way to go. Better fuel economy, more power.

8. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

If you think Exmark improves your position in the marketplace, why have you been using Ferris for the past 10 years? I've never used either one, but if your satisfied enough to use one brand for 10 years, why switch now and take a chance on a dealership that may be less supportive? I might try an Exmark but not switchout the whole fleet.

9. IndyPropertyCare

IndyPropertyCare LawnSite Member

HUmm...tuff call. I have 2 GREAT dealers here in INDY that sell both brands and it is tuff... I shop between the 2 for price ( it gets wild at times ) they both want our business like there is no tomorrow. Their service is great and they treat all their customers like they are the only one they have. They both offer > drop everything their doing repair and a loaner if they cant fix it in 30 min.

IMO...... Price and service,,,, who has the best of both ?

10. LawnScapesofAmerica

LawnScapesofAmerica LawnSite Member

Well thanks; I have been loyal to ferris for a very long time, but? The ferris dealer that I have been with the past 5 or so years also deals in pools and such, "not just a green dealer". And yes they have been supportive to us with help and all, but never a loaner or some of the discounts like this other dealer is offering. On the other hand the exmark dealer is in the country and they like to do business the old fashion way....... The owner actually came out with us, in the mud to show us the machines, in addition he is giving us, what I think one hell of a deal on the exmark? I thnik that it only makes sense to have all of your equipment in on line, that is for mowers! Bottom line these days is for us to cut cost and improve our standing in the market place. I have been deployed in the military for the past 2 years, with just 4 months to go on this deployment, thats a very long time away from home and still maintaining your business. We have sacraficed alot and taken some major hits on our customers. We are in the restructure stage of our company, letting some equipment go and some customers with the equipment. Some times you have to take 3 steps back to make 2 steps forward. I know your wondering how was I able to still maintain contact with my crewa and partner, well all I can say NEXTEL,
    "thats how businwess gets done". thats again for the feed back, and look forward to more input from the world...... Signing off for now..