Exmark Or Grasshopper Best Cut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PROEHL, Jul 12, 2001.

1. PROEHL

PROEHL LawnSite Member

I AM ABOUT TO MAKE THE BIG PURCHASE OF MY FIRST Z-TURN
    MACHINE. I HAVE NARROWED IT DOWN TO A GRASSHOPPER
    225 60" AND A EXMARK LASER Z 60". THIS IS TO BE USED FOR
    HOME. THE PRICES ARE CLOSE. WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO
    KNOW IS WHICH ONE LEAVES THE BETER LOOKING MOW
    JOB. THIS IS FAIRLY FLAT LAND.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There probably is no "best" between these 2 mowers. They are both excellant, well built machines that do a fine job of cutting grass. Either flip a coin or choose whichever one has a better dealer.

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i bought my first ztr this spring. i went with the exmark lazer 60 inch with the 25 hp kohler. so far the machine has been excellent. i really dont see a lot of grasshopper machines around here, but you definately couldnt go wrong with the exmark.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I demo'd them both. I chose eXmark. The ghopper cut good, but the mulching wasn't even close to the exmark. Also, the ultra vac for the exmark is easier to use and cheaper.

5. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

i don't think you can compare them .maybe for cut yes,but as far as the whole machine goes,there are a lot of other attachments you can put onto the grasshopper (snowblower,broom,aerator,dozer blade,leaf-vac)if you want a more versatile machine i'd get the hopper.actually i just bought a grasshopper today.the reason was for leaf clean up,my little walker does an excellent job but is a little small for some of the properties i maintain.i also own a toro 44 inch z-rider which is exactly like the exmark .it does a good job of cutting buti tried to adapt a track-vac unit to it and it just doesn't do a good job of collecting the clippings or the leaves.i think the 20 hp kohler is a little overburdened with carrying me,the vac unit,(full of debris) and a 50-75 lb weight bolted to the front to keep the front end down.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

For the attachments, try this. http://www.agro-tec.com/exmark.shtml. As far as the toro 44" Z being just like the exmark, you're comparing apples to oranges. Not even close, unless you're talking about a itty bitty Exmark. If that's the case, save your money. And you're right; the 20 hp would be overburdened carrying all that and trying to cut too. (No offense! I'm not saying you're big, or anything, but I know where you're coming from.

7. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would drive & cut w/ both units . Have a friend w/ mid cut
    Grasshopper & man that thing is alot harder to cut straight lines
    w/ than an Exmark. He bought an Exmark a his main cutting
    machine and uses the Hopper as a back-up. ED

8. Dfordiesel

Dfordiesel LawnSite Member

Both machines are nice... Either way get enuff h/p for deck size...plus buy commercial grade...they hold up better
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I've owned both. Close cut with Exmark getting the edge (slightly) while the Grasshopper stripes slightly better due to the rubber flap on the rear of the deck. The Grasshopper is the only way to go if you want a diesel, or attachments between the two. The Exmark is a well balanced and a more modern design. I wouldn't recommend a Kawasaki on the Exmark as of yet. Anyway the Exmark is one smooth machine and leaves a great cut with some problems in Spring, or grass with high moisture content. Grasshopper has a more proven though dated design. I prefer the Lazer, balance on hills and traction going over hills is great.

10. kubotafan

kubotafan LawnSite Member

It was ten years ago the first post was made. :confused::confused::confused: