ExMark or Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BrianWilson, May 1, 2003.

1. BrianWilson

BrianWilson LawnSite Member

I need to make a decision ASAP. I am starting a lawn service and need to decide which mower I should purchase.
    My lawn service will consist of 75% residential and 25% commercial. I live in the upper Midwest where it is likely I will land some fairly large jobs, acreages, large commercial, I'm talking 3 to 4 acres, that is large as far as I'm concerned. Not many fenced yards, fairly wide open country. I don't have a mower presently and don't have a great deal of commercial lawn care experience.
    Just purchased a 16'x81" tandem axle trailer this mourning, with a dual, mesh gate.
    My choices for mowers are, ExMark model number LZ27KC524 27 HP Kohler 52" Deck or
    ExMark model LZ27LKA604 27 HP Liquid cooled Kawasaki 60" Deck.
    My other choice is a Grasshopper Model 725G2 Liquid cooled Kubota frontmount 61" Deck.
    Any of those choices will need to have a bagger installed, preferably the 2 bag bagging system. If any of you guys have an opinion one way or another I would love to hear it, as well as any advise.

Thank You
    Brian
    The Groundskeeper
    1997 Chevy 2500 2WD
    2003 16' DCT tandem axel
    2003 Stihl FS 110RX Trimmer
    2003 Stihl BG 85 Blower
    And still looking for the rest :):):confused:

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the Exmark!!! The UltraVac is an excellent and well designed bagger. Exmarks customer support is second to none!!! Check out their forum and ask them why you should by their mower over the rest.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Why even mess with the 52 and 60" crowd?

It's not much more to jump to the 72" class. Couple hundred.

4. Ditto and the EFI Kohler.

I am curious as to no mower and a mix of customers, do you have any now are is this the biz "plan"?

5. BrianWilson

That's quite a coincidence, the dealer has a 72" LZ27LKA724 27 HP Kawasaki, that they will sell me for $8500.00, 2002 model close out. I am afraid this deck is to big for the property's I will use it on. They want's to sell the same model and engine size in the 60" deck for %9600.00. I am assuming this 72" is a demo, but it looks like it was not used much if any??????????????????

HELP WHAT SHOULD I DO???????????????????????//

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

One minute your saying your properties are in the 3-4 acre class, the next your worrying about fitting a 72" machine on your properties. :confused:

There is a BIG jump in productivity on larger lawns with that extra foot of cut.

How many hours on the demo?

The 27 Kawi will be at about its limit with that much deck. I sometimes make mine (60"er) cry for help in the deep thick stuff.

Buddy has had the 72" LC Kawi about as long as mine. While he says its no powerhouse, he still has it. He would have given it back if it didn't work to his expectations, and his are rather high!

Depending on the hours, that isn't a bad deal for the demo one.

Its basically a grand off a new one.

7. BrianWilson

When I say I'm worried about the 72" deck being to large, I'm thinking some of my jobs I will not be able to utilize the mower as much as I would a 60" or even a 52" they just seem much more versatile. Yes, with large wide open jobs the 72" would be awesome but the 52" and 60" seem so much more versatile.

8. Lets put it this way, your not going to like bagging with a 72" if that will make your mind up.

9. BrianWilson

If I go ahead with the Liquid Cooled 27 HP Kawasaki should I get the two bag or three bag system?

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

60" you only have one choice on the Ultra-Vac.

3 Bag

or

The new dump from seat QDS.

or

Aftermarket baggers

The 2 bagger UV is only for 52" and less.

You DO NOT want to get the 72" LC Kawi and put a UV on it. That will take a LOT of power!