Exmark or Gravely/

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenman, Jun 25, 2002.

1. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Went to purchase wb yesterday... went with Gravely, supposed to picked it up today, called the dealer he said they sent the wrong one over, an Exmark instead of the Gravely. How can he get them mixed up? Getting a 36" w/ mulching kit/stripe kit BTW. Said the Gravely would here in the morning, to come by and compare them side by side. Gravely has Kaw, the Ex has( I think) a Kohler. The Ex is also a little cheaper. Which one should I get? I am thinking of the Exmark. Looks better built with easier controls. Better deck. Right Choice?

2. cormierlawn

cormierlawn LawnSite Member

Well i have a 36" Exmark Metro and a 52" Laser Z hp. I still can't believe the power!! awesome!!!! I would go with the Exmark personally.

3. kjfaulk

kjfaulk LawnSite Member
    from NC

Greenman
    I have 2 Gravelys, both have given me good service and a nice cut. We have been using them for 3 years. The Exmark does look like the controls might be really easy to get use to. Good Luck

4. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

exmark. the controls make it great

5. NoPro

NoPro LawnSite Member
    from Boston

Greenman,

I just picked up the new 36 Gravely, gear drive, last weekend. I was under the impression Exmark's Metro was a 3000 dollar machine. I paid 2200 for the Gravely. Am I missing something?

NoPro

6. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

No pro,
    I do not know if it is the Metro or Viking or what. He just said the Gravely is 2500 and the Exmark just like it is a little cheaper, maybe 100 or 200. I think I'm going with the Exmark. I will let you know.

7. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like a a metro 36" gear drive with a 15 kohler. list for about the same as a gravely but usually dealers have them on sale for around 1999-2199. did it have the pistol grip controls or the ECS system?

8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Mike LT
    You were right about it being the Metro gear driven. I picked it up today. I sure do like it. It's the one with the ECS handle. The only thing I don't like about it is the way you adjust the deck up or down. 3 different ways! How do I tell if the front is lower than the back, measure? How do I keep from tearing up the ground when I turn around? I guess it will take some getting used to. Glad I got it though. Sure does scalp easy when you hit a hole or a high spot, don't like that, looks bad. Anyway...can't wait to go to work tommorow.

9. ceaman

ceaman LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

You are mowing to low if you are scalping with your 36".
    My 36 exmark has yet to scalp this year!

10. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

ceaman
    its only when I go over a hump or when the wheel goes in a hole