Exmark or Gravely?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DSTR, Feb 19, 2003.

1. DSTR

DSTR LawnSite Member

I'm looking at the Exmark 32" w/b (M3213KA) and the Gravely 32" Pro G (GR1332), primarily for residential lawns. I understand this is the first year for the Gravely 32". I like the bigger tires on this machine as well as the spring loaded pins to adjust the deck height. Both mowers have the Kawasaki 13 hp engine, same transmission. The Exmark weighs 420 lbs and the Gravely weighs 500 lbs.

Am interested in your comments and wanting to know if anyone has had any problems with either machine. Anyone ever use this size w/b with a stand-up sulky?

2. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I'd pick exmark over Gravely anyday. What is the price difference in the two.

3. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

between the two i would go with the exmark, but only because i have no experience with gravely. i have a buddy that has three gravely w/bs and he has not had any problems other than routine maint. and a trans.

4. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Talk to Bill Davis about Gravely wb's he's got one.

5. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

I have the 32" Exmark and it's a real workhorse. I bought it at the end of 2001 and it has run trouble free from day one. It isn't the most agile of mowers so tight spot take a little more effort since it's soooo long. The 13 HP motor is great and the 5 speed tranny runs at a fast trot.

6. DSTR

DSTR LawnSite Member

The Gravely is $200 less than the Exmark. This price difference isn't a factor. IBGreen, is there any particular reasons why you are picking the Exmark over the Graverly?

7. DSTR

DSTR LawnSite Member

Forgot to mention this. One of the Exmark dealers I'm talking with said the manufacturer doesn't recommend using the sulky behind their 32" machine since the drive belts are singles (vs double). Another dealer says I can use the Jungle Jim Sulky (supposed to be smaller and lighter). The Graverly does have a double wide drive belt on each wheel.

8. dogdad

dogdad LawnSite Member

David,,I have a Gravely Pro 300 wb,,have had it 5 1/2 years with 1300 hours. It has a 50 " cut and 18 Kohler . It has been a great machine. I am getting ready to buy a new Gravely P152 ZTR and I just bought a new Walker 26efi w/ 42" GHS deck. I would highly recommend the Gravely. I find alot of people buy what they see in the field used by other lawn people. I am not a monkey see monkey do person. I look at each mower whether it is popular or not. I am about the only one around New Orleans that uses Gravely. Everyone else seems to have Dixie Chopper or Scagg,,Toro or exmark. I bought a New Hustler last year and got Hustler to buy it back. To many problems,,but you see guys on here saying how much they like theirs ,so look at each machine.

9. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I can say that the Exmark. has been the best mower in have ever used. still going strong after 7 years of service.

10. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at a 32" Gravely last year and if I hadn't found a GREAT used SCAG, I would have gotten it. The new features are what sold me. Bigger wheels and tires, wider belts and a real easy deck-height adjustment.

Also, my family used to own one of those old Gravelys that they had at schools back in the 60's(?) and it ran forever. NEVER any problems. You could have mowed a fence with that thing.

JMHO - follow your gut...