1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark or Hustler ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bigfoot, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Bigfoot

Bigfoot LawnSite Member

I have demoed several mowers and narrowed the field down to either a Exmark Laser-60'' deck or a Hustler Z or Super Z-60'' deck.The Exmark dealer is 20 miles away while the Hustler dealer is 38 miles away. NOTE- I have several hillside lawns.I would like some options. Both seem to be excellent machines.Thanks for all replies in advance.
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I currently own a 60 inch lazer with the 25 kohler and love it. I think youve narrowed your search down to possibly the two best machines on the market. I havent had the chance to demo the new hustlers, but i have not heard one negative on them. I think either way you go, youve made a good decision. maybe somebody who owns a lazer and a hustler could give a few differences.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Both are top notch companies with great machines. You should demo BOTH on YOUR properties. This is key!!
  4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Hoss got it right. Get those dealers to demo those units side by side on a property that challenges you or your equipment. They need to be demoed side by side for fair evaluations. Whoever doesn't comply doesn't have much faith in their product and that will make the decision even easier.
  5. Bigfoot

Bigfoot LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. Even with the machines side by side this could be a hard call. Both machines seem to perform very good. Exmark has a good reputation building ztr's and and a excellent dealer network. Hustler has a very rugged built mower. One major difference is engines. Hustler-25 Hp. Kawasaki, and Exmark-27 HP. Kohler.
  6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Hustler will have kohler engines for next year. All they have mentioned so far is the 28 EFI.

I think that you may want to take into account Hustler's 2 yr waranty. I remember Captdevo saying this in an older post, that they have 2 yr parts & labor. I am about 90% sure on this, but if i am wrong, let me know.
  7. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52" Exmark and I love it! I am sure the Hustler is a quality machine though considering how many people are buying them.
  8. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

We wil have the 27 carbed and 28 efi Kohlers available when Kohler can get them to us, sometime this spring...........

The Hustler has a full 2 year bumper to bumper warranty, parts and labor included.
    Also, LIFETIME on the frame and leading edge of the deck, and also on the hoses and fittings for the drive system.
    3 year warranty on the spindles and bearings for the front caster yokes...

Hope this helps
  9. brian mon

brian mon LawnSite Member

I recently demoed a '99 Lazer w/60" deck and w/ultra vac, I must say I was disapointed, with all I have read about them here. Leaf pick-up was very good! But when I mowed a property w/steep hills the right side scalped bad, at least 1" lower every pass, and did not like the bag set-up. I & the dealer were not very familiar w/UV set-up, may need some adjustment....don't know.
    My choice will still be Exmark, Toro, Hustler. One will be my choice next season, as soon as I dump the JD's.
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to Lawnsite!

Any mower with a spindle driven bagger unit will tend to cut slightly lower on the bagger side. Your hanging about 30 lbs on the side of the deck! The Lazer's have about the widest deck lift points out there. Your going to experience some slight deck teetering when the bagger is on the downhill side.

This will be amplified with an older mower such as the '99 model that you demoed. Things get loosey goosey after 4-5 years. Just be glad you didn't demo a DC with their bagger! Talk about a teeter tottering deck!