1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark or Hustler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EIB, Jan 29, 2003.

1. EIB

EIB LawnSite Member

Hi guys,

I'm trading in my JD 455 all wheel steer this year. The JD dealer sells Scag, Exmark, and Hustler. I've narrowed down the field to either the Exmark or the Hustler. I would like to hear pros and cons of both. I going for a 60" cut. Thanks for the info.

2. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Get both on your properties and demo the heck out of them. This is the only way you could tell which is better for you. Either machine would be a great choice, but you will have to live with the choice. So DEMO DEMO DEMO!....:D
  3. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

There are plenty of posts on this subject so do some research and then ask the specific questions.
  4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I live about 1 hour from you.
    I would be more than happy to come to Bob James Equipment and point out all your differences and show you all the features of the Hustler Z and Super Z.
    I know we have a little to much snow right now to drive em and test em, but we can go over almost everything inside where it is warm.....lol
    E-mail me @ hustler@twcny.rr.com we can set something up or I can answer any individual questions you may have.

5. EIB

EIB LawnSite Member

I'll send you an email and we can make plans.

I looked through the previous posts, that gave me some info, but the main thing I'm looking for is people that have used the units, and their opinions on quality of the machines, how long they last, quality of cut. Also is one easyer to service then the other. Example, Hustler says you don't need to grease the spindles every day. I never did on my JD, and never had problems, but I'm planning on using this one more.

Thanks in advance for any info.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Both mfg's are great. DEMO is the only way to know which you like.

eXmark spindles are no-maintenance spindles also.

Don't just ride them, you need to put the machines in the grass and turn the blades on. See how they cut in your conditions.