1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark or John Deere walk behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by polishededge, Nov 29, 2007.

1. polishededge

polishededge LawnSite Member

I'm looking to start a small lawn business,and want a 48" wbh. I have a small exmark dealer and a larger J.D. dealer within 15min of my house. both dealers are good people to deal with, and the prices are very close, so it comes down to best over-all machine. I'm looking at the exmark turf tracer HP with either the 17 0r 19 hp motor(leaning to the 19), and the John deere 7H17 or 7H19. The deere dealer will give me a good trade on my rider.
    My thought was 48" for the most versitility, but should I be thinking about a 52"? Thanks so much for your input!
  2. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked at the turf tracer hp 48" Exmark today. I believe you won't go wrong with the Exmark. I know another landscape company who started out with deere walk-behinds and switched only after the first season to the Exmarks. They haven't had a single problem out of them. Bulletproof machines. Your resale value is going to be more on the Exmarks also. The # 1 selling mower in the country.
  3. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Never used the JD but I have a 17hp 48" TTHP and it is a great mower. I would say to see if you can demo both of them to see which one you like better.
  4. Dodge Truck

Dodge Truck LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Not even a contest...if you don't get the exmark you'll be licking yourself in the ass until you finally trade it in for one
  5. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Exmark, all the way. I have one that's been used for 5 seasons and it still runs great. Cut quality is top notch.
  6. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Deere vs exmark. Enough said - the deere will run away! Being chased by the ex-mark that is.
  7. polishededge

polishededge LawnSite Member

seams one sided here! So then, 17hp, 0r 19? 48 or 52? Thanks for your time.
  8. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

eXmark will give you a far better cut than the Deere hands down.
  9. Dodge Truck

Dodge Truck LawnSite Member
    from Mass

19 on the 52 will give the best performance
  10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

The Deere has a 7 Iron II deck, right? I have a JD Z-trak with a 7 Iron II deck, 48" wide. It cuts better than my Exmark TriAdvantage deck on my w/b mower.

I can't say anything regarding the mechanical components of the JD w/b mower (e.g. hydro, operator comfort, etc), but if you wish to compare mowing decks, the 7 Iron II deck may give you a better cut. You are mowing cool weather, northern grasses, not unlike myself.

If I was confronted with the decision, I would choose the JD because of the mowing deck. This choice, despite 10 years of great service from my Exmark -- it has been very, very solid.