1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark or John Deere???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by redclay, Dec 14, 2005.

1. redclay

redclay LawnSite Member
    from GA

1st off I'm not into commercial mowing only renovations/new installs that sort. I'm probably taking over mowing duties for my parents this spring. they have large "lawn" and an area with several fruit trees/bushes etc. that is not maintained as well. its a little rough but not enough to use bushhog. My property is similar; both have trees,hills other crap to avoid. yard tractor just to slow.

need help on tough commercial mower because I'm kinda rough on equip sometimes. not using all day every day but want one to last.

Between Exmark and JD because only two comm. available locally. Opinions?

Sorry for long post; Thanks ahead
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Believe me, that was no long post!!

I love my exmark, (in my signiture) great dealer support from the time i walked in the door the first time to the time i went and picked it up and continues now. Great product, built like a rock.

How big is the so called large lawn you mentioned?

Welcome to LS!
  3. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Go look at both. Check out the decks, the dealer support and figure how much more they will charge you for the green paint. Then buy the exmark for the cut.
  4. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

Never sat on a JD, but have mowed with an Exmark and I own a Toro which is almost the same as an Exmark. I can say that the Exmark cut is awesome and overall the machine is very reliable. If I was in the market and the closest dealer was either JD or Exmark I would go with Exmark. Hope this helps.
  5. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

i own several john deeres and i love them all. i have used or tried a bunch of different brands, and although i am a john deere fanatic, i did choose my 757 because of the build, and the deck. the 7-iron decks are truly one of the best.

you may want to take the opprotunity to shop around, get a good price, see what fits your needs, and dealer support. if you have both dealers in the area, then you should ask around, and see who's service you can rely on more from people who use both brands in your area.

i do all my own maintenance servicing on my machines, but when i had a idler pulley break last year the dealer had it fixed within 45 minutes of it happening. it actually takes me 40 minutes just to get to the local exmark dealer, so thats plays a big part for me.

both are great commercial mowers, if you do a search you'll find hundreds of threads on both. i think with regular services you can get a good long life out of both.
  6. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd go Exmark, my experiences with Deere are not good.
  7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Both are very nice and tough mowers but i think i'd get the Exmark with a new Triton deck.
  8. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

one person, one mower.....
  9. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

he asked my opinion, I gave it.....got a problem with that?

I ran Toro's before buying this deere, the Toro is soooooooooo much better, and tested before release on the market a whole lot better, I had ZERO TORO PROBLEMS, I've have had 100% Deere problems, so don't go rattling my chain, I'm telling things how they are, no B.S, but I don't mind if you following me around waving the Deere flag lol.

When they burn you, I hope you still have that green blood in ya veins, until then, you have no idea how it feels to own ONE mower worth 30K, and have it lame!

A few little ZTR's and a bunch of little domestic garden tractors doesn't exactly compare, little toys!
  10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

No, not one person one mower.

I owned a Deere. got it as part of a business I bought out. Sold it as quickly as I could. Ran Deere's for the LCO I worked for. 2 quik traks. at least one major repair issue per 100 hours of use.

On top of that, the parts always needed to be ordered.

High price, poor service (locally), and Deere's complete disregard for TonyR and his difficulties.

I own a Gravely. Had some problems, local dealer is an inept fool (and that is being nice). But at least Gravely (corp) was always right on with assistance and any help I needed.

I get the impression Deere couldn't care less.

You are also one man one mower.