EXmark or Scag 36" Walk behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Threeponys, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Threeponys

Threeponys LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Looking at both Scag and the Exmark 36" belt drive walk behind. Like both but not sure which would be better. Both dealers are good and offer Priority service. Also, Kohler or Kawa engine?
  2. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Scagg 36" w/b belt drive, 13 hp Kohler. I like it very much, just did a new lawn, overgrown and could of used more power. Maybe the kawa motor would of been better,??? Something to think about is More hp....... Hope this helps...

Lou :cool:
  3. spalmer97

spalmer97 LawnSite Member

Not sure if this is going to help but I was considering both as well and decided to get the eXmark 36" gear 15 HP kawasaki v-twin with pistol grips(Didn't care for the ECS handles). I got a good deal on a new 2002 left over($2300 delivered plus tax). The Scag was $2899 and the only difference I could see was an electric clutch and orange paint... I will be getting my machine next week and can't wait to use it...I'll try to post an update once I take it out for a test cut. Not sure this helps...Just my .02
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Since you cut warm season grasses, the exmark has the best mulching system around. If you mulch, this gives exmark the hands down advantage. If you side discharge the mowers are pretty close. There are advantages to each mower. But the customer service from eXmark on this forum alone is second to none.

The kawi's make more torque. Torque is where all power is at. I've gone will kawi's now and have been real happy with their power.