Exmark or Scag ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tye, Jan 20, 2003.

1. tye

tye LawnSite Member
    from zone3

Am looking to purchase Exmark laser or Scag turf tiger. Nearest Exmark dealer is 40 miles and nearest Scag dealer is 15 miles. Downtime is important as I'm a one person company. Would appreciate thoughts from those of you who have experience with these mowers as I have read good things about both of these mowers. I'm looking for something in the 25-27 hp range for these mowers with 60" or 61" decks.

2. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Do a search and type in what your thread is titled but add ZTR rider's. I've been on this site for two years now there is TONS of talk about this topic. Search and have some fun :)
    I have a 52inch Turf Tiger, no downtime at all, but it has the 23Kaw liquid so its small for you, the 23 and 27Kaw are great engines so stick with them and LC models.
    Matt

3. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I have Exmark 60" lazer with 23 hp k, and Scag 61' turf Tiger 27hp water cooled k. The Exmark is the mower i like the best.

4. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

We have both................I dont think you'll go wrong with either.

5. G. Moose

G. Moose LawnSite Member

We've had experience with both......I favor the Scag. They seem to be built tougher, and I think they are available with bigger engines. Ours has a 27 hp Kaw liquid cooled, and we've had no regrets. With a 61" deck it has no power problems. For Scag's 2003 lineup, you may want to look into their new 29hpKaw. It has liquid cooling and fuel injection- much better economy. I don't think Kohler makes anything bigger than 25 and they don't offer liquid cooling. But I 'm not totally sure. :cool:

6. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Same as above. Both are good mowers. I favor Scag. Good luck.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Heres What I Use!

img_0675 resized.jpg

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

G Moose
    Go Into www.kohlerengines.com You Will Be Amazed At Who came Out with Fuel Injection On Mowers.
    Happy New Year
    Johnny G.

9. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Hey john-do the boys in red give ya a big kick-back for that great advertising??;) ;)

10. sunrise

sunrise Banned

I have had both and the Exmark is my pick
    but the scag is better then walking