Exmark or Scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dan K, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Dan K

Dan K LawnSite Member
    from florida

Hey All,
    I'm getting ready to purchase a 60" ZTR.The 2 that I'm interested in are,(1)Liquid cooled 27hp Lazer 60" or (2)Liquid cooled 27hp or 29hpDFI Turf Tiger 61".
    Freind of mine has the 27hp Turf Tiger.IT has execellent cut,but he discharges.So I have no experience w/mulching with this machine.
    I demo'd the Exmark and had them set it up to discharge,so I could compare apples to apples?.It was leaving some stringers??
    This was on Bahia.
    Most seem to think the Exmark has a better cut,or are happier w/Exmark.
    Don't know which way to go!
  2. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

All I can say is I've seen both machines results and both leave a nice finish, that's on St Aug grass.. Good Luck..

Lou :cool:
  3. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going to be cutting bahia get the scag, from my experiences the exmark does not cut bahia, but the scag will and do a good job. I have one and going to buy another Turf Tiger.

4. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

have several TT 72 with a 27hp. they run great, and have a decent cut. this year we'll be purchasing some 72 exmarks, with the 27hp lc. so I'll know more in a few months. we have 4 61 TT with Kohlers and 4 exmark lazers with Kohlers ranging from 800-2200hrs of use. both manufacturer a good machine, however we cut some serious grass with the 2 lc TT. Nice machines.
  5. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

ExMark.........has yet to let me down. going on 3 years, never taken it in for service. i love it
  6. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard that the Scag orginally used the Advantage deck just for the Bahia grass only, until they realized how good it does up north that they stadardize them now on all Turf Tigers. SO my pick is for the Scag, but like you've already done some, demo both machines, mine discharges fine when you have the shoot up, throws it really well. Only stringers I have is when I cut wet grass that gets matted down by the front wheels.
  7. Dan K

Dan K LawnSite Member
    from florida

I know I probably can't go wrong with either machine.
    It's a hard choice,I can't decide which way to go.It will be are main machine.
  8. DTD

DTD LawnSite Member

Both machines due very well, but what you really need to be concrened is what service your dealer will provide you. That in my opinion is the most important. A good dealer will provide a "zero" down time. I know Exmark supports these types of programs, but am not sure of the Scag.
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I personally like the design of Exmarks radiator placement and that it is up and out of the way. The wavy screen really makes cleanout a breeze too.

SCAGS in general have way too many bolts and odd shapes under the deck (strengthening plates, etc) to catch grass. My Lazer is very clear of obstructions underneath. I don't care for driveshafts either. Been there, done them.
  10. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

My favorite color is red!!!:D