exmark or toro or honda 21"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Jason Simmons, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons LawnSite Member

looking for a 21" mower to replace my lawnboys 2 cycle mowers. Whats the pros and cons of exmark,toro,honda 21 commercial mowers. Whats the best self propelled mower between these three.

2. Jessefloyd1

Jessefloyd1 LawnSite Member

Check out the ybravo 21".
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Mostly bagging or mulching or side-discharging...or a little of all three?

4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Lions or Tigers or Bears? OH MY!

Are you using these mowers yourself?
    IF yes.
    Honda 21" commercial hydro.

If No. I would just get an one of those what are they called..time masters? The residential version of the exmark/toro 30".
    The self propulsion isn't as good, it's made a little less tough than 'true' commercial units, BUT workers will screw up ANYTHING…so I wouldn't go get the best in the biz…unless you were going to use it yourself.

Plus a 30" over a 21" will make up for the fact the workers will be slower than you are.
    IF there are two of them, they can lift the heavier mower up and down stairs or whatever they need.

The down side to dropping the lawn boy 2 cycles… they are SO dang light! You could almost take them on a canoe trip to mow lawns no one else can get to!

5. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

I'm tending to ask this in case an LCO is primarily side-discharging. IFF they do, then a true side-discharge out of the right side is superior to having to side-discharge through a rear chute out to the left...ESPECIALLY in moist/wet conditions.
    If ONLY bagging &/or mulching...then it's a moot point.

Am actually quite surprised that all 21s don't offer discharging out of the right side.

6. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Do you run only the yBravo 21 or do you have a 25 as well...?

These mowers only bag or mulch. But on my yBravo 25 I cheat and use a zip tied 1"x1" attached to the mower to prop open the rear door making it a rear discharge. It never gets lost and is handy as can be. Requires eye protection and wolf snout.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't get rid of your Lawn Boys. They're a great ditch mower, as they'll run on a near-vertical surface. I've got a lengthy, butt-kicking ditch that'd take too long and too much string to use a trimmer on. With the Lawn Boy, so long as I keep it from flipping over, I can rock that ditch in no time and no worry of oil starvation.

8. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the exmark 21 and like it a lot. It's a great bagger. It will pack wet grass and/or wet leaves with little to no clumping. The only downside I've had were a hard starting kawi engine and the belts on the tranny constantly get loose; thus requiring adjustments. The other mower you might consider is the toro light duty commercial mower; 22155 (push) or 22156 (self-propelled). This unit has a very nice honda gsv190 engine and gives you the ability to side-discharge, bag, and mulch. I have the homeowner version (toro superbagger) and it works great except for when the grass is wet. Then it bogs down in bagging mode. If you can keep your lawnboys, I would. I have a 2006 lawnboy with the 4 cycle briggs engine. I love that mower. Nothing beats it for side-discharging because you have a clean opening off the side and the blade tends to grind the clippings into small particles, making it easy for dispersal.

9. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons LawnSite Member

I ve got three 2 cycle lawnboy's, they r the best mowers ever. I've cut hills that most people are scared to weedeate. I was just looking something that can compete with the two cycle lawnboys. There is none out there so far. I looked at the new toro commercial 21s yesterday , they are so heavy. I would throw out my back picking it up to put in the back of my truck. I got 5 yards that i cant get even get a trailer in or a walkbehind on. My lawnboys i can pick up and carry a flight of stairs. One other thing starting my lawnboys up they smoke like crazy at first, then they clear out. Some customers comes out to see if the Mower is on fire. I had one customer tell me that my Mower stinks. Thats my favorite smell is burning 2 cycle oil. At one time i had 12 lawnboys. Thanks for the replies

10. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Switch to AV100 aviation fuel and Klotz 50:1 oil and all the old motorcycle racers will come out of their houses. :laugh: