1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark or Toro

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by gcbama, Aug 29, 2005.

1. gcbama

gcbama LawnSite Member

Need help on which brand is better?
  2. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

For a Ztr its exmark, but for a walkbehind, its the Toro. Nothing beats the T-bar.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

All I use is Toro Walk-behinds and were anyone to ask me which is better, I would ask them which would they like to use: Pistolgrips or T-bar? :)

Now if you read through this forum you will see from time to time complaints about sore wrists that hurt real bad, and they ask what can be done and the solutions are varied enough to be slightly comical because ultimately every ONE of them was using a pistolgrip mower... I have never had a problem with sore wrists / hand pain from using the T-bar, except perhaps once the belts get worn out that can be a pita but it usually doesn't take too long before it breaks lol then you replace it with another EV-belt and you're set.
  4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

exmark with ecs controls. Thats the best walkbehind.
  5. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

For me its the oppisite i had a toro wb and didnt like it much it was underpowered and it had a 17hp kaw on it i just bought a toro ztr and i love it (52" with 27hp)i will always be gettin toro ztrs and then eXmark walkbehinds.........i dont like exmark ztrs much but I LOVE THERE WBs
  6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Exmark has been putting ecs controls on their walkbehinds for quite a while now, straight forward pistol grips are a thing of the past.
  7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

okay...I'll start it again...

I prefer greasable spindles, exmark doesn't have them, toro does. At least that is the case for the ZTRs we were looking into...you'll get opinions on both sides of this spectrum. Also, the exmarks do not have hydro oil coolers where the toro's do. Some claim that is because exmark designs their pumps/motors to handle the heat. I just say 'ok'. Perform a search, you will get more opinions than you care to have on the subject.

good luck.
  8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I love my ECS controlled exmark WB. Around where i am, exmark is the absolute major brand used. Good Luck!
  9. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Screw her...not physical...lol......mine said I would make a good first husband....that was 23 years ago....goes to show they need to keep the mouth buttoned up!!!
  10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Why would you WANT to perform a maintenance task when it isn't necessary? (spindles)

Exmark's DO have hydro oil coolers...............