Exmark or Toro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NYRookie, Mar 20, 2003.

1. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy a Toro or Exmark w/b. I have looked at both and can't make up my mind. The Toro has a 44" deck w/a 17hp Kawi. The Exmark has a 48" deck w/a 15hp Kawi. The prices are close enough that it won't warrant my decision. I currently have a 2001 Exmark Lazer z 60" w/a 23 hp kawi, and I have no complaints. I like the feel of the T-bar over the ECS system. I have delt with the Exmark dealer and have bought a New Holland tractor from him also. I have not dealt with the Toro dealer but have heard nothing but good about him from others.

Any help or comments would be helpful.:confused:

2. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I am guessing you are talking about belt drives cause the exmark 48 hydro only comes in a 17hp kawi. I just bought my first exmark and love the cut and feel of it. Good luck

3. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Both are great machines! Dealer support is a big deal to me. Demo both mowers. Only you can choose the right one.

4. Haley Lawn Care

Haley Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from NC

I bought a used 52" tthp and love it. I also have a 36" Toro and it is hard to control on hills. Always having to pull back to keep from running away down the hill. But the Toro is belt and the eXmark is hydro.

David

5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro and Exmark are both great machines. I too investigated all the options and I decided to get the Toro with T-bar. I get the machine next week. Good luck, there are too many to choose from.

6. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Demo both and compare the quality of cut. I think you will find that the Exmark will outshine the Toro. :) ;) :) ED

7. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

What's your 20??

I run a toro t-bar 20hp hydro with a 52" sfs deck and like it a lot, I have demoed the ECS Exmark and thought it was cumbersome but then I only used it for a couple of hours.. Both are great machines I would go with the best dealer (not so much price, look for service and parts availability) these units are very reliable & tough but you will need blades, filters and misc. items.
    BobR

8. EHesseyLawns

EHesseyLawns LawnSite Member

i run toros, i have been using about 5 of them. i love them, t bar is super easy to teach employees how to operate. the only view negative i have on the toro is that they will not stripe as well as an ex, unless u have a stripe kit (but who knows, you may not even be interested in the quality of the stripe.) the positive about a belt drive is that it's a lot cheaper and easier to fix/replace if a belt goes out. hydro pumps are expensive and might require a few quality hours in your local shop. i will never leave the Tbar, unless it's for a free ztr :D

9. KZS LAWN SERVICE INC

KZS LAWN SERVICE INC LawnSite Member

They are both great machines. I own a Z-master and love it. I have not had a single problem with it.

Toro actually just bought out Exmark!

Good luck!

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've owned 4 T bar toro belt drives over the years and love em. I can't imagine trying to shift a belt drive with my knees or really using any mower that doesn't automatically return to neutral when you let go. I hear the Exmark ECS is nice, but I never could get the hang of them at the dealer's after so many years of doing the opposite (push to go).

I also like being able to steer one handed when needed and not having to squeeze anything.