Exmark, or toro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBoy89, Aug 18, 2004.

1. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys I really want to get into the business, and my parents decided to help me out. I'm going to start with a walk behind, I work at the local publick works and I've been looking at their Turf Tracer HP. I like it alot but I'm really not sure of the price. They guys at the town said they got it for $4000, but that is probably because the town gets some type of discount. My dad really doesn't want to spend over $6000, so I'm hoping it is below that. Do you guys happen to know the retail on this model?

Also, what do you guys prefer, Toro or Exmark, I know Toro makes Exmark, but I heard that Exmark was the higher name, then I heard that Toro was the higher name. So which one is more high quality?

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it!:eek:

2. Doc_77

Doc_77 LawnSite Member
    from IL

different dealers will have different prices but i was quoted $5298.00 for a tthp 36 with sulky and grass catcher. the viking was $4728.00 with sulky and catcher.
    this was with tax included.

3. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Also, what do you guys prefer, Toro or Exmark, I know Toro makes Exmark, but I heard that Exmark was the higher name, then I heard that Toro was the higher name. So which one is more high quality?

=========

I think you will find Toro OWNS Exmark, but the 2 companies are run seperate, neither company makes mowers for the other...as far as I know :)

The Toro verses Exmark debate is an entertaining and ongoing discussion here, both world leaders, either one you get you can honestly say you got the best there is.

With the new Toro Z500's out now, I don't think too many could say one mower was better than the other, comes back to personal choice and dealer support.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Toro owns eXmark. eXmark builds Toro's Z's and puts the deck under them.

You need to demo both types of mowers and see which you like better. That is the only way you will know what is best for you.

5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

eXmark Walks are Vastly Superior to Toro Walks...Better Deck...Carrier Frame...Controls...etc....On the Walks it's Not Even Close...

6. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

...Floating Deck Walks that is...fiXed are Pretty Much the Same eXcept the Controls...

7. clc2003

clc2003 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ia

I just priced a TTHP 36" from my dealer. He told me his normal price would be about $4700 but might be able to do a little better for me, sulky extra.

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Get the red one!

J/K I like the controls on the Exmark better but you need to demo for yourself. The good thing is that both will be good, hard working units that will be with you a long time.

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have never owned an exmark but I do have a Toro proline 52'' floating deck that is gear drive and T bar controls and its a very good mower. The comments fareway made are about older toro's and they have changed alot, mine is a 2003 model

10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Toro belts work well with the T Bar. I have not used one but a lot of people around here say that the T Bar is not as good on the Hydro. I don't know if Toro still makes it with T Bar. The money you are talking (and the TTHP) are Hydro.