1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark over SCAG??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lowe Mowing, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Lowe Mowing

Lowe Mowing LawnSite Member

I have been looking on this site and have been getting some really good information. I see that most people talk about Exmark mowers. I have a 2 SCAG's and a WRIGHT STANDER and find they work very well. Is there something better about Exmark that i do not know about or is it just personal preference?
  2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

That's exactly what it is.
  3. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

i like the exmark controls better than the standard pistol grip
  4. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have both. The Scag is longer, lower, heavier built, and holds hills better. The Exmark is more compact so it feels lighter and more nimble. It might cut slightly better but its a close call. Both have been reliable. The Scag is more open and easier to service. The Exmark steering levers were easier to work until I replaced the big steering dampers on the Scag with the smaller Exmark dampers. Now the steering effort is equal. Either mower will do you a good job.
  5. FL&G

FL&G LawnSite Member
    from R.I.

I own Scag mowers and like them alot. I think the only reason I didnt go with Exmark was the aluminum spindle housing. They are probably fine, dont take me wrong I have no experience with them. I however come from a manufacturing background and am skeptical about the durability of that material for holding your bearings straight over time.