Exmark Owners: Decisions Decisions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I just picked up a 60/23 kohler lazer z demo. I will also be demoing the 52/23 kaw lazer hp this week.

I can get the 60/23 Z for a few hundred LESS than the 52/23 HP. I know that kaw's are a bit more expensive, and also that the HP comes with the foot lift assist, bigger gas tanks and tank openings. What other advantages does the HP have? It seems to be common sense to get a BIGGER cut for LESS money, but there must be some reason that the HP costs more. The 23/52 is a very popular model and my salesman tells me he would rather see me get into one of those. Well obviously, they are more expensive! I need someone to tell me straight up why/why not to get these mowers, not the salesman that is looking to up his commission.
  2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

60/23 is under powered in my opinion. That may be why he is telling you to get into the 52/23 instead. Either one will last you a long time and serve you well. Are your property's big enough to warrant a 60" mower? If not then get the 52".
  3. Expert Lawns

I've had the 60'' demo for half a day now and I really don't see much use for that big of a mower. I have one very large commercial account that it would be very useful on, but that wont' justify the cost. I'm begining to think that a 52'' might be more useful. It's only a 4'' difference though.

SERRICO LawnSite Member
    from TX

I just finished comparing between Lazer Z advantage(60"/23) and HP (52/23).
    Well, as far as I know, Z is full size and HP is compact. Just like ProStreetCamaro said 60/23 is slightly under power.
    And the reason HP is little more than Z advantage model ('04) are
    1. HP has standard canister air filtration system
    2. HP has standard quick lift deck assist

I already ordered my HP (52/23)and should be here tomorrow. For me I choose HP because it runs as fast as full size and also able to get into tighter area because it is compact. I also went with Kohler engine because their reliability and service is better and faster.
    Choose wisely according to your customers' properties, machine sitting on your trailer does not make money:)
  5. Expert Lawns

Serrico, thanks for the input. How much are you paying for the 52/23 if you don't mind me asking?

I'm going with the ultra vac as well. Do dealers give price breaks if you get them both at once? If I'm pumping $8,000+ into a mower, I would think they would shave a few bucks off of the $1,200 vac. But maybe I'm wrong. i guess they figure they can charge full price when you come back looking for one in the fall.
  6. gaulk

gaulk LawnSite Member

I have both, a 60 - 52 . The 52 is probably my favorite, only because it will fit in a lot of tight spots,will save lots of time on the trimming
  7. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

$1200 for the ultra vac sounds right. $8000 for the 52/23 is high.
  8. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

That's what a 36" is for. I just don't see the point of having a 60" and then a 52" as a trim mower. Or are both on large properties and the 52" just does the tighter areas? Clue me in. lol

I have a 60" and a 36" TTHP, love them both, and see no need for a 52", or a 48". For a second crew I would get another 60" and maybe a 32" hydro for backyards.
  9. IndyPropertyCare

IndyPropertyCare LawnSite Member

I have both the 2004 52" Lazer Z & the HP..... I prefer the -Z- over the HP, it seems to handle better not being so compact. As for the power.... the Z has a Kohler 20hp & the HP model has the Kaw-23 and they both have plenty of power for thick grass. IMO..save the $$$$ and just get the basic Z model.
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

2nd 52" 23kawi HP. Love them.

terry sod and more 131.jpg