Exmark owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Throgmorton, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Throgmorton

Throgmorton LawnSite Member

I am close to making a decision on buying an exmark lazer.
    I'm pretty sure i want the 52" deck. I will mow approx 5 to 10 residential yards per week on a part-time basis. The size of yards range from 1/4 acre to 1 acre. Went to the dealer today and compared the 52" Full size lazer to the 52" HP. The full size lazer had the 20 hp kohler and was priced about $7,000. He said that the 27 hp upgrade would cost approx $8300. The HP with the either the 23 hp kohler or kaw would be in the $7300 to $7500 range. The dealer said that i would probably be more satisfied with the full size with the 20 hp kohler as long as i don't try do bushhog with it. He said the 27 hp engine was an overkill. I do believe that the full size would be easier to work on because it's not so compact, but the HP does sit lower therefore lowering the center of gravity, i can see it being able to hold a hill much better than the full size.
    My questions are:
    1. On the full size, is the 20 hp kohler enough engine for mulching, because i cant see myself spending the extra $1300 for the 27 hp.
    2. Does the trivantage deck on the HP cut as well as the ultra cut deck on the full size. These are my main concerns.

2. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

Your dealer steared you wrong, you need all the extra HP you can get, the 27hp is motor youll need, 20hp just don't cut it, in the early spring, think about those rain days and extra growth, Sounds kinda funny most dealers would want to sell you the most upgrades they can for business, Ive be at this going on 15yrs and 27hp is not overkill............Marks Mowing Service

3. Ditto, also there is no 20hp available on the full size Lazer 23hp is the lowest it goes.

Trivantage is the ultra cut deck 1/2" shallower.

If I recall the ultracut comes on both of the mowers posted, and your dealer is selling you old stock.

4. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

From the Exmark website:

Lazer Z HP:

44" Tri-Vantage deck with 17hp Kawasaki or 20 hp Kohler

48" Tri-Vantage deck with 21hp Kawasaki or 20hp Kohler

52" Tri-Vantage deck with 23 Kawasaki, 20hp Kohler, or 23hp Kohler

Lazer Z:

52" Ultra-Cut deck with 20hp Kohler or 27hp Kohler

60" Ultra-Cut deck with 23hp Kohler or 27hp Kohler

72" Ultra-Cut with 27hp Kohler

So it would appear that if you are being sold a Tri-Vantage deck on a NEW machine...you are being sold a HP version. Like Lawngodfather mentioned, I don't think the Tri-Vantage has been available in a full-sized Lazer for 2 or 3 years now.

I have a full size Lazer Z ( 2001 60" w/23hp Kawasaki) and my advice is that if you are going to be mulching a lot I would stay away from the 20hp Kohler. My 23hp Kawi is great when I am side-discharging but when I'm running the Exmark "Micro-Mulch Kit" in real thick stuff (or leaves in the Fall) I can see where the extra horsepower could be a bonus. It does a great job...but I have to slow it down a notch or two to get the desired results. The next Laser I purchase will be another 60"...only with a 27hp (or Diesel) engine.

I have no experience with the Tri-Vantage deck but I can assure you that the Ultra-Cut is AWESOME. So is the "Micro-Mulch Kit" that you can get for it.

Another thing to consider is, if you are going to mulch w/ the mulch kit (especially leaves in the Fall) you will have to deal with 'blowout' from the front of the deck. Exmark has just come out with a bolt-on 'Anti-Blowout Baffle' that really cuts way down on the blowout problem. Probably the best $30 I've spent in a long time. I do not know if the "Micro-Mulch Kit" or the "Anti-Blowout Baffle" is available for the Tri-Vantage deck...but if you are going to get a NEW full-size Lazer Z then this wont be a concern as they now come with the Ultra-Cut deck only. If you opt for the HP version (Tri-Vantage deck) I would definately inquire about these accessories before making my final decision.

Good luck...and you can't go wrong with an Exmark! :D

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Owning Both I would go 23HP With the Full size Lazer 52 Ultracut deck. The 52 Has a Blow Out Problem But It discharges Like No Other. You can Mulch And Run Doubles All Day Long with the Deeper deck. stay away From the HP Series Of Exmark. If You Can Go With the 27HP Do It.

6. PRO PROPERTY CARE

PRO PROPERTY CARE LawnSite Member

why do you say stay away from the hp series, i was about too buy one..
    52" deck, and how many acres an hour will they mow, from your guys experience.

7. LAWNPROMAN

LAWNPROMAN LawnSite Member

lets look at the lit.before we say what is available!
    straight from the dealer lit.
    exmark lazer z
    model # engine cutting width
    LZ20KC524 20 HP KOHLER 52"
    LZ27KC524 27 KOHLER 52"
    LZ23KC604 23 KOHLER 60"
    LZ27KC604 27 KOHLER 60"
    LZ27KC724 27 KOHLER 72"
    " AVAILABLE WITH 20-,23- AND 27 HP ENGINE OPTIONS"
    "ULTRACUT 52",60" OR72" CUT LAZER Z"

EXMARK LAZER HP
    LZHP4417KA 17 HP KAWA 44"
    LZHP4420KC 20 HP KOHLER 44"
    LZHP4820KC 20 HP KOHLER 48"
    LZHP4821KA 21 HP KAWA 48"
    LZHP5220KC 20 HP KOHLER 52"
    LZHP5223KA 23 HP KAWA 52"
    LZHP5223KC 23 HP KOHLER 52"
    ALL 2003 LIT
    "AVAILABLE WITH 17 HP TO 23 HP ENGINE OPTIONS"
    TRIADVANTAGE 44", 48" AND 52" LAZER HP"
    AND IF YOU THINK THE DEALER IS TRYING TO SELL OLD STOCK LOOK AT THE MODEL NUMBER

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Go to the Exmark forum and ask them there.

9. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I just purchased a new 2002 Lazer HP 23HPKawi 52" this week. First off work them on price. I got mine for 6899 and no payment no interest till June 1st. I'll write a check for the whole thing then but it sure is nice to not have to pay for something that is making you money. Also the only difference between the full size and the HP is front tire size and the depth of the deck and the center of gravity. If I were you I'd go after the 23HP mainly because if you ever wanted to add the UltraVac or a FlexDeck you will have enough power to run them. Good Luck.

10. LAWNPROMAN

LAWNPROMAN LawnSite Member

2003 LIT
    HP
    WIDTH LENGTH HEIGHT
    44" 54.7 74.2 40"
    48" 58.1 74.2 40"
    52" 63.2 75.5 40"
    LAZER
    52" 64.2 78.5 44.5
    60" 72.2 78.5 44.5
    72" 72.2 78.5 44.5

LIQUID COOLED AND LAZER Z XP MOWERS LENGTH ARE LONGER AND HIGHER.
    HP SPEED
    44"& 48" 0-8.1 FORWARD 0-4.7 REV
    52" 0-9.5 FORWARD 0-5.5 REV

LAZER Z SPEED
    0-10 FORWARD 0-6.3 REV

FUEL CAPACITY
    HP 8.5 GAL
    LAZER Z 11.0 GAL

NOT TO MENTION THE DIFERENCES BETWEEN THE DECKS AND THE FRONT CASTERS