Exmark Paper Air Filters ?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jbell113, Jun 5, 2007.

1. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 44 Laser Z with Kawasaki engine. What is the life expectancy on these paper air filters? I blow it out every weekend or about every 20 yards or so. This is the first engine I ever owned that did not have a foam pre-cleaner on it. Personally I would like to have a foam cleaner with the paper filter but it seems to me its a way for exmark to make more money off of these filters.

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

If you're blowing compressed air through a pleated paper filter, Exmark will be making more money off of you buying a new machine (or engine) after you start injesting fine dirt into your engine through the tiny holes that you are blowing in your paper filter.

3. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Good point and I was worried about this to start with but I blow them off from the inside out. I also hold the air nozzle about a foot away also as to not force too much air through and possibly fray the paper. Once I have blown the inside out I blow the outside also but at an angle so the dust isnt forced back into the filter. Ive tried tapping them but it doesnt get as much dirt out.

I think this is a poor design and a poor attempt at getting exmark mower owners to purchase these $17.00 filters every other week.

4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

What are the numbers on your engine? I have yet to see a kawasaki engine that does not have 2 air filters on it....

And I dont know of any Kawasaki filters that are $17 unless its some oddball one.

5. jbmillion

jbmillion LawnSite Member
    from RI

You shouldnt need to replace the air filter every couple of weeks. Ive never seen a Kawasaki engine on an Exmark that doesnt have a foam pre-filter. Are you sure it isnt just missing? For good prices on genuine Kawi parts I go to JacksSmallEngines.com They have a part number lookup, I got 2 plugs , air filter, prefilter, fuel filter, oil filter for my Exmark for like 36 bucks shipped. Not Bad