Exmark paper air filters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jbell113, Jun 5, 2007.

1. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Whats the deal with these new paper air filters...What happened to foam filters.
    I have a 44 Laser Z with 19 horse Kawasaki engine. What is the life expectancy on these paper air filters? I blow it out every weekend or about every 20 yards or so. This is the first engine I ever owned that did not have a foam pre-cleaner on it. Personally I would like to have a foam cleaner with the paper filter but it seems to me its a way for exmark to make more money off of these filters.
  2. EMTDUCK1984

EMTDUCK1984 LawnSite Member

What Does The Filter Look Like Size And Shape
  3. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

there is no reason at all to not have a foam prewrap. they help alot and help A TON if they have oil on em. only thing i can think of is they want to sell more expensive paper ones. there could be no other reason. i bet you can find one aftermarket though.

on my kawi i have the foam prewrap, but the kawi owners manual says "do not use oil on the foam prefilter" ... i simply cannot figure why. oil makes it filter sooo much better and doesnt decrease the flow at all on foam. any ideas why kawasaki says this? what do you guys think?
  4. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

Weird. Only reason I can think of NOT to put oil on the foam is they're worried the oil will soak into (and clog) the paper.

Maybe the logic is, you can tap out the paper filter much easier than you can wash out and re-oil the foam element? Just guessing...
  5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Don't be concerned, I have the Donaldson cannister air filter on my 28 efi and you do not need to be blowing yours out that much. They actually filter better after it gets a light layer of dust over the outside of it. This is the exact reason they really don't want you cleaning them period, I just change mine every year and I put 162 hrs. on my mower last year.

The reason I know about this type filter is because I have run them in combines for years. A combine will see more dust cutting soybeans for one week than your mower will see in 10 years. I took the filter out of the combine and cleaned the dust cup which would be 3/4 full every 10 hrs. The filter element is very big and is just like the one on your mower, when I would clean it there was always a heavy coating of soybean dust all over it. When I sold the combine it had 3800 hrs. and there would be a quart of oil gone through the engine about every 25 hrs. and it held 17 quarts so that is no consumption. I changed the oil and filter every 100 hrs. and the air filter every year.

So as you can see you have no need to worry about the air filter in your mower. The only problem you would have with air coming into your engine would be if you had a hole somewhere and the air was not going throught he filter.
  6. puppypaws

I just read the warranty information and you are not suppose to clean the Donaldson cannister air filter at all. If the engine gets what they called dusted and they prove you cleaned the filter the warranty is no good.
    They say it is best to have a filter minder so it will show you when the filter needs changing or to change it once a year. This means you better not be cleaning your filter any more, believe me it will not let you down.

Donaldson said what I thought, their filters filter better after they get a coat of dust on them, it makes the pores smaller in the element to stop more dust than a new one will.
  7. jomowz

jomowz LawnSite Member

I never heard of an air filter w/o a foam pre-filter wrap around the outside. It should be washed with soap& water & dried. Tap the paper filter to clean it only.
    Check with your parts people... Joe
  8. puppypaws

They've had them for years, they were on combines in the 70's in a 100 times dustier conditions than a mower will ever see, I used them.

This is what they look like if you have never seen one before. The one you see here has 31 hrs. and looks like it was put in yesterday.

Filter 1.jpg

Filter 2.jpg

Filter 3.jpg
  9. jomowz

jomowz LawnSite Member

I have never seen a factory filter for 12,14,15,17,19,21,23hp w/o a foam wrap around a paper filter. I used to run a road sweeper & are aware of canister filters like the one you have.
    Thanks for the pic's...Joe
  10. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

the large Donelson style dont' have a foam pre filter.

They have the large filter that can be tapped and blown out AS LONG AS it also has the smaller foam inner filter.

All Exmark units in recent years do have the inner filter. The Lazers and Navigators I have in stock right now do.