Exmark/Peerless Transmission ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shorty7616, Feb 9, 2005.

1. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

Well, I was trying to do some maintenance on the mower, so I decided to check the grease levels in it, and any wear and tear. So i tried to pull the top off, and I can't get it off.

I put it back on, and it didn't quite "fit" that well. After a little playing around i got it back on, but now it seems to be harder to shift.

Also, I took the neutral detection- the thing that stops if the operator doesn't have it in neutral and leaves- and now it doesn't work.

So much for trying to maintain the equip.,

Any suggestions?

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes you just have to jiggle the top around a bit to get it to go on. If you dont, I would take it somewhere, or the gears wont line up right and you will strip them. For future reference I think there is a bolt on top that you just take off and put grease in that way. But I would take care of it one way or another or something will get stripped.

3. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

Ever hear the sayin. "If it aint broke don't fix it'". I dont think those things have to be maintained that much anyways, maybe once every couple of years. I messed with something before when it didn't need nothing and it ended up costing me 120 bucks

4. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

On the side shaft they use a bushing that only goes in one way, it has a little pointed edge that fits on the side of the case.To get the top off you have to take off the shifter handle and top bolts, then tap shaft that shifter hooked to and top case should come off.

5. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I could be wrong, but I think Peerless transmissions are maintainance free. Are you SUPPOSED to grease them?

6. shorty7616

owners manual says to check grease level once a year.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

First, if you don't see grease leaking out of the tranny don't bother checking the level. It has nowhere to go except leak out and if it ain't leaking then it's full.

Second, to remove the top first you remove the shift lever. Then if you look at the side of the tranny you will see a Allen head screw recessed into a boss that points at the shift shaft. Remove the Allen screw and there will be a screw and ball. You can leave them in the case but don't loose them. Next remove the bolts holding the case together. Now you can seperate the case halves. Now tip the case on it's side until the spring and ball fall out into your hand. Do whatever it is you need to do in the tranny and put the case halves back together. Note: If you put grease in the tranny and it doesn't need grease the grease will only seep past the sideshaft bushings until it's low enough. It makes a mess for a long time. Now put your ball back into the boss followed by the spring and Allen screw. You can run the Allen screw in a few turns but don't tighten it. Put the shift lever back on and start the mower. Try shifting the tranny. If the lever is too loose (the lever moves without feeling the "gears") then run the Allen screw in. If the lever is too tight (it won't shift or is difficult to move) then turn the Allen screw out. That's all there is to it.

8. shorty7616

The whole reason for checking the grease level was because I was having some problems with it last season- when it would rain out, my shifter would get stuck- So the dealer said that some of the gears might be stripping, etc.

I thought hey, its the off season, why not check it out.

I have taken off the bolts, shifter, etc. but it still seems to be hung up on something towards the middle.
    And now, the OPC isn't working after I put it back on.

9. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

get you a book there are bushings in the trans that only go one way
    you have allready done damage dont use it till you fix it

10. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Nothing wrong with that ... It's called preventive maintenance.