Exmark Phazer Feedback

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brucec32, Jun 2, 2006.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

They've been out a little while now but I haven't seen much feedback on their performance yet after doing a search.

Anyone have any detailed analysis of how they're performing (more than just "it's great" or "it stinks" )? One previous poster claimed his dealer said many were returned for problems, but I haven't seen that from anyone else.

2. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Bruce, FYI, I had little conversation by chance with my town's biggest eXmark dealer and he accidently belched out that none have been sold due to price...and suspiciousness. Then he hushed up. Why don't you get other brands with better price and a more tested performance?
    I am not trying to sway you away from this red mower but I have had enough.:headphones:

3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Exactly!! Also IMO the phazer looks like a toy compared to our Gravely 34Z. Our 34Z produces a remarkable cut, built like a tank and has plenty of power for that size mower.

4. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Just an FYI guys the rules of LS state that you can not pass judgment on something that you have not used. So will you please stop with all the bashing of the eXmark Phazer.

Rob

P.S. Yes I own a Phazer and I am very happy with it and the cut in wet or dry conditions.

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I didnt pass judgement on the cut it produces. I said it looks like a toy compared to the gravely 34Z and the 34Z produces a carpet like cut and stripes awsome and costs less.

EDIT: Here are a couple pics from the other day. My camera phone does not do these pics any justice at all. This week I will take my DSLR with me and get some good pics. These are of the cut the 34Z produces. Its probably dumb to even post these because they are so bad of quality that you cant really tell how smooth the cut is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

You might ask Brian, but I believe eXmark just announced a retail sales promo of $400 off the price of a Phazer or LazerCT model. I believe.. and again, I stress to confirm it with Brian, that the offer is valid through July 31, 2006.

7. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

Prostreet, I would cut that yard with my 72"!:rolleyes:
    I have a phazer with the mulch kit, I really wish I would have looked into the 36" mini z from hustler now. It cuts pretty good but the deck belt jumps off of it every other time we use it and the dealer still has not gotten the parts in to fix this. This is a bad year for me and exmark equipment all together. Both my newer Lazer XS's have had the lower wheel motor bolts break, and it sure gouges the heck out of the lawn when they break. Hopefully they have still had the two top bolts holding to get it on the trailer, it looks weird with the tire all kicked out on the bottom.:cry: I priced a 72 hustler the other day and am considering the switch.:)

8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

I believe the kits just got released for parts on May 29th, so your dealer may not have been able to get them from the factory yet.

SUBJECT: Phazer Production Changes & General Information
    Phazer Belt Jumping Issue
    We have been receiving some field reports that the deck drive belt is jumping off the idler arm pulley on the Phazer product while operating in extreme height of cut positions. We have found here and in the field with customers that replacing the idler arm pulley with P/N 1-403186 along with slightly higher spring tension then that shown in the manual has in most cases been able to keep the belt from jumping off. This pulley is a split steel design with a deeper groove and a larger flange.
    Set the spring tension with the deck in the 3” cutting height position. The spring needs to measure 6 1/8” to 6 1/4”. This extension should be measured over the ends of the anchors or inside of the spring hooks. Due to the geometry of the deck movement, the tension is at its minimum in the 3” position, therefore the tension will be slightly higher at the low and high positions.
    NOTE: In our testing we found that it is very important to have the correct spring tension. We are in the process of redesigning the idler arm so that as the belt seats in or wears the spring tension will remain consistent. On current units in the field or on units you retail in the next two weeks, it is HIGHLY recommended the owner be informed to check the spring length dimension every day for the first five days of ownership. Once the belt seats in you will find less need to make this daily adjustment, once the field fix has been tested and released we will be updating previously produced units.
    In response to field reports that the deck is allowed to drop below the 1” cutting
    height when the pin has been removed, a stop bolt has been added in current production.
    Install P/N 3274-104 bolt and P/N 3296-47 nut in the 1” hole to prevent the deck from
    dropping below 1”. If the deck drops below 1” it can cause the idler arm to lose tension
    on the belt which can cause the belt to come off the idler arm pulley. THESE CHANGES ARE CONSIDERED A WARRANTABLE UPDATE.

9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I am a very happy Exmark Viking owner, and have been for 9 seasons. When I went to consider a ZTR this Spring, I eliminated the Phazer quickly.

My reason may not be considered valid in some circles, but I recall the horrific experiences with a new mower Exmark introduced about the same time in 2005, the 26" hand mower. The 26" mower gave Exmark a bad reputation, and then one year later, they introduce another new model. The timing was very poor -- why wouldn't the buying community be suspicious. No, the 26" hand mower and the Phazer are different mowers, but with all the problems the 26" experienced, why would a buyer take a chance? I chose not to even give the machine a first consideration.

I did buy -- a John Deere 717A.

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

To be honest almost all of the major comercial mower manufacturers are having or have had problems with different issues. Especially when a newer model is introduced. I have heard numerous complaints on different board for Dixie Choppers, Exmarks, Hustlers, John Deere, Scag, etc. Just because a company has a few problems to work out doesn't make it a bad company. I think most of the major comercial companies make a good product but all of them hit a few bumps in the road now and then, especially with newer products. Hustler has had numerous complaints with the new Xr7 decks, Exmark has has some with the triton deck, I lost count of Dixie chopper complaints on leaving stringers, and the list goes on. I demoed a grasshopper the other day and the electric lift for the front deck was already torn up. The lesson I take from all of this is don't buy a new product the first year or two till they get the bugs worked out. This applies to auto's and truck's also. Just my opinion.