1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark Phazer???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ACutAbovesiny, Aug 3, 2007.

1. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

Whar are some opinions? I was looking at their website and saw this mower. It looks like something that might fit into my staff. How does it compare to a walk behind? Is the price close?
  2. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I love my phazer! Got it for $4521 after tax and mulch kit. Worth it.
  3. ACutAbovesiny

44" ...???
  4. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

34" ..........
  5. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Actually, as the Phazer utilizes ZT2800 transaxles it is cheaper than most comparable hydro wb's that use traditional pumps and motors. Unfortunately eXmark has limited the production of Phazer decks to 34" (no more 44" decks in the offering).

Since the 34" is the only size available (there may be some 44" machines still out and about) and if this is going to be the primary cutter for you, I would opt for a 36" wb w/sulky as it would be a more versatile machine.
  6. ACutAbovesiny

The 34" might be better for me though. We only use 21" push mowers right now. The yards in my area are very small.
  7. grassgirl4

grassgirl4 LawnSite Member

For those of you who own or have demoed a 34" ztr of any make, what has been your experience on slopes/hills/inclines? I demoed a Gravely 34 this spring, and while I loved everything about it on flat ground, I absolutely hated it on any sort of incline - regardless of how little the incline may have been. I found myself slipping and sliding all over the place, feeling out of control, and tearing up turf due to the wheels skidding. I really wanted to justify buying it (it was a good price, solidly constructed, and had a pretty good cut) but couldn't. Where I live, the terrain just varies too much.

Has anyone bought one and modified it with additional weights or some other means to compensate for its inadequacies on varying terrain? I would be curious to know, as the demo could very well still be sitting in the dealer's warehouse with an even better price on it, since we're now into the latter half of the season. Modification would be an option if, indeed, it fixes the 'slip-and-slide' phenomenon. If not, I won't bother looking at it again...

8. captbob

captbob LawnSite Member

I really like my little 34 Phazer it is a back yard machine for me and down here in fence land I cannot function without it 60% of my residental yards require the use of the little 34 Grass girl has a good point about incline I have a little
    inclineometer I got at an RV store I velcro it to the floor between my feet and limit the use of this machine to about 20 -25 degrees on dry grass 15 on wet but I only have one yard that is an issue
    but the end result is a seawall and the the Bay so be careful also run the tires
    down to 12- 13 lbs it helps traction a lot in the rear drive tires and reduces turf toe as well I run all my machines mulch and the 34 has the power with the 19 hp Kawasaki motor to accomplish most yards with ease . I really have no desire to own a 34 or 36 walker I am just to tall for a velky and maybe to old ? too. So for me the 34 fits and is a great backup for the 52 Ex my son and I set the decks at the same height and tag team many yards and have some fun dodging each other to the pass the time and these mowers cut very equal at the same setting . The only other machine I might consider instead of the Phaser is the Wright 34 with the seat stand setup I have 3 yards That I could not squeeze anything larger than a 34 so I cant use the 36 model.There are still 44 inch models offered I saw one delivered today at my local dealer here in the Tampa bay area but The 19 hp is a bit anemic for the 44 deck if you mulch . And there is no hp option so stick with the 34 in my book use it and eventually turn it into the backyard machine when you get more yards. Capt Bob
  9. Cathman

Cathman LawnSite Member

Ok, here is my dilema....i have the Gravely 34....love it when i can use it. Cuts very nice...buttttttttt, we have been having a ton of rain here and i mow as long as it is not raining at the time...i do this part time. Anyway, the problem i have been running into is the fact that when it is still slightly wet, it will leave track lines. It has to be a nice dry yard with solid ground for me to use it and feel good about my results, so i have been using the 21 a lot more lately.

With that being said i have thought about getting a 32-36" walk behind instead. I do all smaller residential yards, but in order to make any money around here, speed is key. So the 21 works fine, but time is money and with the Gravely 34 i can get it done in a hurry, but this rainy weather has been killing me. Would something like a Better Outdoor 36" leave tracking lines in a yard being it only weighs 350 or so vs. the Gravely at 700+ and my big butt on it putting it a little over 900 total i think. Thoughts??

Oh and to answer the hill/slope question...i think it is simply the fact of the wheelbase and width being it is only a 34 and you dont have the wife base for stability. Its the same with my Gravely...probably a little more so being it is a little heavier than the phazer.
  10. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I recently shut down shop, but I would buy another Gravely 34" in a heartbeat. They really fit through 36" gates.