Exmark Problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J.Henderson, Jun 1, 2002.

1. J.Henderson

J.Henderson LawnSite Member

When I was mowing today for the first time with doubles, I noticed a little strip of grass being left on the deck opening side. I then had to start to overlap rows when the opening was on the cut side vs. the uncut side. What is going on? My cutting time is suffering so are the stripes, because of every other row being narrower because of the overlap.

2. To much lift on the discharge blades.

Use lowr lift blades on that side.

Air turbulance.

3. J.Henderson

Should I go back to single blade? I was using 2 Exmark high lifts on each side.

4. I was running double on mine and went back to singles.

I want to try 2 low lift blades on each.

Just take off 1 blade from that side and see how that works.

Your going to have to play with it untill you get it set for your deck and lawns.

5. J.Henderson

I guess as the old adage goes" If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!"

I was getting good stripes with singles but with everyone one here saying doubles will better define them. I guess I will go back to singles for now.

The avatar photo under my name was done with singles. Lookk half as define with doubles.

6. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

J Henderson don't give up so easy on them doubles,just use low lifts,double blades make your stripes really defined, How do you think Eric's stripes on his dixies where the best around,he ran doubles for around 11yrs. I run doubles all the time and my stripes are really nice and defined thanks to Lawnsite and Eric's advise. Marks Mowing Service

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Running all highlifts with doubles is way too much vacuum and lift, and therefore more drag on the engine as well. Try a different combe utilizing some lower lifts. Much as what LGF said, as I certainly believe he's correct, but I would let up on the lift all the way across. Personally, I like solid foil highlifts with dual level lowlift mulching blades on top. ;)

8. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

what do you guys mean when you say doubles in reference to blades??

9. 2 blades per a spindel.

If a mower normaly has 3 blades we mean 6 blades total.

I for one did not really like doubles, but stll have to experament with them on Exmarks.

On my DC's, I don't like the way they cut with out them, I have a high lift Gator blade on top and a high lift reg blade on bottom.

On Exmark Lazer same set up, But I think low lift blades top and bottom would work better, but have not tried or gottem them.

Or even just 1 high lift blade works fine.

On Exmark WB's I have Gator mulchers on top and high lifts on bottom and they cut perfect.

But on the WB's I have changed the pitch/rake and that helped tremendusly.

10. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

do you need any special adaptor to put two blades on one spindle? do you put the blades at 90 deg. angles? what are the benefits of using this method? never heard of anyone doing this, thought of it before but never got around to trying it.