1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Exmark problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by twhitworth, Aug 31, 2012.

1. twhitworth

twhitworth LawnSite Member

The problem started when my my 2004 Lazer cut out. I set the brake and started the mower back up. Everytime I released the brake, the mower would cut out. The dealer sold me a brake safety switch. I replaced it and the same thing was happening. I bought a seat safety switch and replaced it. It is still cutting out when I release the brake. If I bounce up and down in the seat, it will work ok. Can somebody tell me about adjusting the spring under the seat? Or does that sound like it could be the problem?

2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

if it starts with the brake on, the brake switch is working. there is a spring rod unter the seat that pushes the seat switch. Unplug this switch and use a jumper wire to bypass it. if it works that is your problem. you can adjust the travel of the rod by readjusting the nuts on it. the easiest way is to remove it because they afre on the bottom and difficult to get to.

there are safety switches on each steering arm, the seat, the brake, and a seat delay module behind where the throttle panel is. all of these can be tested by jumping them, or with an ohm meter. your manual will tell you if they are normally open or normally closed switches.

3. twhitworth

Thanks ffemt, I adjusted the spring rod under the seat and so far it seems to be working.

4. ffemt1271

no problem, glad you got it fixed. them electrical problems can make you want to pull your hair out sometimes

5. twhitworth

An update on the exmark problem. Turns out it was the rollover or tilt switch. Ordered the part from my dealer and it cost 1 cent. Go figure, supposedly there was a bulletin that came out. Faulty switches I guess, but the dealer has to send the old part in because there is mercury in it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. ffemt1271

I just bypassed the one on my 2003. The 2005 didnt even have one in it ans neither does my 2010
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. twhitworth

Yea, mine has a jump wire on it right now. I ought to leave it as is since its running great now.
    Posted via Mobile Device