Exmark Pto Acting Funny

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by milsaps118, Sep 17, 2007.

1. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

When I go to engage the PTO, sometimes it doesn't fully engage the clutch to turn the blades. It has happened to me 3 times in the last couple weeks. I have to disengage and then do it again and it works fine. Anyone have this happen, what could be the problem? Is the clutch going out? I always engage/disengage at half throttle and this mower only has 700hrs on it. 2004 Lazer 52 w/23hp kohler.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. WhitakerServices

WhitakerServices LawnSite Member

It is probably time to adjust your air gap on the clutch. Assuming the belt is at the proper tension. It is a common adjustment you can ask your local shop about the gap (unless someone here chimes in) get a feeler guage and slide it in and adjust the gap with the 3 nuts on the exterior of the pto. Do them one at a time gradually to acheive the proper gap, i usually make a few checks at each adjustment nut. Good Luck

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Could be the clutch going bad. Some are adjustable, some are desposiable. Could also be a bad connection in the pig tail. I have also had the deck belt rub the covering off the pig tail wires and short them out. Get under it and take a looksee.

5. WhitakerServices

Rob you are fast and have much better info. LOL

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Only beat ya by a minute....:weightlifter:

7. WhitakerServices

I was typin or rather trypin.

8. milsaps118

Great info fellas', I never knew there was a gap adjustment in the clutch. Today we have rain for the better half of the day so I have time to take a better look at it.

9. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I don't mean to throw water on anyone's parade but I've worked on two Exmark Z's in the last month and neither had adjustment capabilies. Without model numbers for your unit it's difficult to make a determination.

Dutch

10. milsaps118

As far as my model goes your right. I looked in the owners manual and on page 36 line 5.2. 11 ELECTRIC CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT - No Adjustment necessary.

So what could it be??? Is my clutch going bad with only 700hrs??? I just put all new belts on it this year.