Exmark Pto disengaging

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Christianstine, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Christianstine

Christianstine LawnSite Member

Has anyone had any issues with PTO disengaging? Last Saturday when cutting I thought I smelled a burning smell when I turned back upwind. Then it went away and about 15 minutes later my pto disengaged and of course the blades stopped. Looked everything over as far as the wiring going back to clutch. Pulled relays out and blew the grass out.Started mower back up turned on the pto and nothing. Started back to the trailer and they kicked on. Went back and mowed a few passes and they cut out. Seems like the switch itself is good.I hop off the mower engage the pto and mower stops which is what it is suppose to do. Thinking maybe the clutch but hoping i'm wrong. Help please!!

2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Sounds like the clutch. If it is not too far gone it may be rebuildable.

3. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

before replacing the clutch (but it sure sounds like the clutch if you got that "locked brake" smell) swap the PTO switch from another mower to rule out the switch. Check the voltage @ the battery with the engine revved up to high. It should be @ 13 -14.5 v. If much lower, you may have other issues.

The clutch is not difficult to replace, plug and play. That's good news if it's the clutch

4. Christianstine

Christianstine LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. Putting another pto switch on for troublshooting tonight.

5. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

Sounds like the pigtail wires might be shorting out or loose in the connection