Exmark PTO issue ?????

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Allens LawnCare, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Resto Rob I know your around. My Lazer died today at a customers home.....she wanted to talk to me so I shut the engine down and it won't start. Had an issue earlier with the PTO not staying engaged. Now when I turn the key I get a minor click near the engine (relay or something) but no juice. Like if you were to start it with the brake off or PTO engaged....Nothing. Any ideas

2. Ridin' Around

Ridin' Around LawnSite Senior Member

What is your battery voltage while the engine is off. When you do get it to start, check your battery voltage while running. You should have 13.5+ if the engine is charging. If the voltage is low while it is off, try jumping it then check that voltage. If the battery voltage is good now with it off, go to the solenoid and see if you are getting voltage to the terminal with the smaller wire. If voltage is there solenoid may be bad. If no voltage to the small wire on the solenoid then start checking switches, Key, brake, neutrals, pto. Silly question, did the pto switch get turned off after you stopped? When you have the key on and turn the pto on and off does it click? those are some places to start. Good luck.

3. Allens LawnCare

Bump......................

4. Allens LawnCare

It was the PTO

5. Ridin' Around

Ridin' Around LawnSite Senior Member

clutch locked up or bad switch or what?

6. Allens LawnCare

Bad Switch...$20 quick repair....I love them!!