Exmark Purchase

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ACER, Jul 21, 2002.

1. ACER

ACER LawnSite Member

I plan on buying a Lazer next year, would like opinions on the following mowers:
    1. 60" 23 hp kolher, mainly due to the sale price of $6999.00
    2. 60" 26 EFI
    3. 60" 27 hp Daihatsu Diesel
    4. 60" 31hp Daihatsu gas

All opinions are appreciated especially if you own one of these. Around here the only people I know of that use the diesel are the city maintenance crews and the owner of one of the Exmark shops, do not know of anyone using the Daihatsu 31hp gas. I would like a mower that will cut tall grass without bogging down. I currently have a Kaw 17 hp that boggs in tall grass. Does anyone know if Exmark will come out with any new engines? I wonder how the 31hp Daihatsu compares to the new 30hp Generac that others are using, I would also like to see Exmark come out with a larger Diesel like the 50hp that Dixie Chopper uses.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The diesels are quiet and very powerful. You shouldn't have a problem with bogging.

3. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 60" 26 EFI. I love it!! It was only $750 more than the one with 25 Kawasaki and the 26 even has the $500 dollar seat standard. I personally don't think the 60" with the 23 HP would be enough, when I started looking that is what I found that a dealer had left also. I got to thinking and decided that I would rather be pissed one time, when I write the check, than almost every day when I try to mow something and it will not go through without bogging. I know the cheaper price is hard to pass up but I am extremely happy with what I have. Hope this helps you.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Here is a rundown of torque values of various ZTR engine choices...

HP....Type....Man....lb/ft
    23....AC....Koh....33
    25....AC....Koh....40
    23....AC....Kaw....41
    23....LC....Kaw....41
    25....AC....Kaw....42
    26....AC....KohFI..41.6
    27....LC....Kaw....43
    27....LC....Daih....44 N/A Diesel
    31....LC....Daih....51.6 Gas
    31....LC....Daih....54.6 Turbo Diesel

ACER,
    In a 60" machine, as you can see, and from what I hear, its just a bit under powered.
    Your choices of #2-#4 are all fine for a 60" machine. Its when you get into the 72" machines and heavy grass that the 27's get a little tired.

Good Luck!

5. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I bought a new 2001 Lazer Z (60") with a air-cooled 23 Kawasaki...last year.

The only thing that has bogged it down is tall (7" or more) wet grass. Even then it just requires slowing down to about 3/4 speed. I do keep SHARP blades under her though. Swings 'doubles' like it was made for 'em too.

Otherwise (not VERY tall and WET) it just whacks it down as fast as I can run through it.

700 hours so far....ZERO problems.

Still, I do think that the most torque/horespower you can get your mitts on...the better. :D

Next time, I'll be looking at that Turbo-Diesel! ARRGGHHH! MORE POWER!

6. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Acer.. Why wait till next year????

Ask your Exmark dealer about the financing plan from Sheffield

NO PAYMENTS, NO INTEREST (Same as Cash) 'till April 2003!!

I applied today.. got approved.. demoing a Lazer HP wednesday... Assuming all goes well.....I'll be gettin a new machine now :D

Then go on a payment plan in April if you like and pay as you mow.........

Sounds like a good deal to me........

7. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

Navig8r

so your not gunna have to make a payment till april of 2003 ????
    if so im gunna visit my local dealer and check it out i need a new 48"

8. Just Turned Pro

Just Turned Pro LawnSite Member

Hmmmm.... I was just at an Exmark dealer on Friday and I asked about any specials such as the one you speak of. The salesman said that they only had a 90 day same as cash deal right now. I guess I better go back this week and look around some more.

9. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Navig8r,

Where are you getting: "NO PAYMENTS, NO INTEREST (Same as Cash) 'till April 2003!!"? My dealer has said nothing about a deal like this.

The only thing that I can find on the Exmark website that even comes close is: "No Payment for 120 Days, No Interest for 90 Days"

Is this through your dealer or is it from Exmark?

Thanks,

Joel B.

10. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I just got my lazer hp no payments no interest untill July 2003