exmark quality

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by dvmcmrhp52, Oct 19, 2003.

1. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

O.K time to vent a little.
    I'm changing the oil on a lazer hp we have and once again I am absolutely frustrated with the drain plug. Impossibly inaccesable,
    it takes half an hour to drain once open and I have to add a tube to the drain so it does not get all over the belt etc. Is this design going to change or do we have to continue to suffer with it?
    On a related note on the HP I am not pleased with the way the hydraulic lines are run through the fram with no rubber grommets on the frame to prevent premature wear on the hoses. Will this change?

Now for the full size lazer.....We just had a caster wheel bearing that was completely obliterated with only 200 hours on the machine. Add to that the fact that the dealer did not have a new bearing race in stock so we were forced to run the remainder of the day on a new bearing and shaft with a race that was galled up somewhat.Bottom line is we will have to buy another new bearing and replace the race again. Hopefully the shaft will be O.K.

Next is the Metro belt drive.............Transmission switch has gone bad after little use. We were given a new one for replacement after waiting for it to be shipped in.

Is this the top quality that is so revered from Exmark?
    Maybe I'm just a little too particular but with 18,000 spent on these three pieces of equipment I somehow expect better.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

dvmcmrhp52,

Sorry to here of you problems. You may want to have your dealer look at your oil drain. It should not drain onto the belts. From you description I assume you have a Kohler powered unit with a drain valve rather than a drain plug. The oil drain can be difficult to get at but you should be able to slide an extension under or between the hydraulic houses and put the ratchet onto the end and it should drain with relative ease. I'm not sure why it would take so long to drain unless the mower had been elevated or sitting at an angle, this might also explain why the oil was draining onto the belts.

The transmission switch can fail. Although these failures are not unheard of it usually comes down to poor contacts at the connectors or moisture seams to be the biggest cause of actual switch failure. I'd just make sure nobody's power washing or hosing down the switch and that the connectors aren't getting corroded. If we have one switch in out product line that will fail it's this one but for the most part it hold up pretty well.

The wheel bearings are something we've seen and have made some changes to help eliminate this type of failure. Some of the failures have been caused by seal damage which then lets contaminants into the bearing and the bearing fails. The seal can be damaged by debris (such as twine or string) getting wrapped around the axle shaft, or excessive debris build up (sand, mud etc) around the axle shaft that gets forced into the seal as the wheel is turning.

The most common cause of bearing failure is loss of clamp load on the bearing itself. The front caster wheels require occasional adjustment to maintain this clamp load. If you remove a wheel you'll need to "set" it properly when you re-install it and really you can check the adjustment anytime the front of the machine is up in the air for blade removal. The check is simple, simply spin the front cast wheel and if it makes more than 1 - 1 1/2 turns the axle bolt needs to be tightened. In manual it says to tighten the nut till the wheel will not turn freely and then back it off 1/16 of a turn.

To help alleviate these two types of failures the current models have al have a new dust cap that protects the seal and a different mounting for the wheel. The new mounting hardware lets you remove the wheel without loosening the bearing clamp load. We're still making changes and finding ways to improve our products. I doubt we'll ever have the "perfect" machine but are always striving for a better one.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thanks

Terry

3. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Yes it is a kohler motor with a drain valve,I don't believe the valve opens properly for some reason......maybe the seal inside is damaged or faulty etc. The mower was sitting on a level concrete surface while draining.

The metro with the bad switch has never been hosed down or pressure washed either.......It only had about ten hours of use on it at the time the switch went bad. The dealer checked the switch and said it was ok,then reinstalled it and it did not work....motor would not start. Motor started when the switch was bypassed.

I have noticed the addition of dust covers on the caster bearings on the new models which should help but I did not see them on the new HP they had on the floor.

Thanks for your reply.

4. eXmark

dvmcmrhp52,

With that low of hours I'd say the switch was bad or simply needed adjustment. Once in a while the shifter plate needs to be slid one way or another to allow the neutral switch to engage properly.

Thanks

Terry

5. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

They tried the shifter plate, it did not make a difference no matter how it was positioned. The new switch works.
    I'm not trying to bust stones here just got a bit frustrated with it on three machines in a short period. It's Been a long season, but If I don't voice my opinion who will do it for me?

Thanks again.

6. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Forgot to add one thing in my frustrations list.......The hydro oil
    reservoir cap that leaked like a seive after two hours of operation. The dealer gave me one off a floor model to replace it.
    It wasn't loose it was leaking from the top of the cap.(two piece cap.)

7. eXmark

dvmcmrhp52,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Did the new cap solve the problem?

Thanks

Terry

8. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Yes it did. Apparently the inner insert that makes up the 2 piece cap was not sealing correctly or was never manufactured properly. The inner insert on the new cap was not loose like the original.