1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brentko, Apr 12, 2000.

1. Brentko

Brentko LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I'm a fairly new contractor with an opportunity to grow fast via a buyout. If I do it, I'm going to buy all new equipment. (Both walk-behinds and ZTRs.) Here's my question: I've read and heard from many of you (and others) that Exmark is the best. I've looked at Exmark, and many others. I must admit, it looks like a solid line of mowers....but I don't have the experience in the field like many of you. Is it really as good as I hear? Is the company good in supporting it? They make them in Nebraska...didn't even know they had electricity there! :) Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.
  2. ZYAL8R

ZYAL8R LawnSite Member
    from ny

go try out the mowers first. if you are buying new everything the dealers should be more then happy to let you demo the mowers.<br>
  3. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

do a word search on diff. mower brands from past posts, & view what others have written over the last 6 mos. <br>I personally prefer Bobcat over Exmark because of the engineering design as I've posted numerous times before. Exmark & Toro would get my 2nd vote.<br>If you have Bobcat in your area (Textron owned) demo it & the lazer both. If it's an even toss up, go for whoever will give you better service after the sale (turnaround time, loaner mowers, etc.)<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
  4. Alan

Alan Member

I have a 60&quot; LazerZ right now, my next will likely be a Ferris IS. Not that the Lazer isn't good, I love it, but I like the suspension system on the Ferris,, better travel speeds if it's rough turf. The brand you choose should be mostly based on what the dealer is like, the machines tend to be so similar there is not all that much to choose between them. Around here the service tends to suck on most of the major brands, the dealers are a lot bigger on sales than they are on service
  5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Brentko, Do you plan on keeping this equipment for many years? If so, consider things like the aluminum spindles with no grease fittings that Exmark, John Deere, and several other companies are using now. Sure they have a 3 year warranty, but I know they are being replaced with less than 100 hours. This sounds like something they would put on a homeowner machine. As soon as you hit something solid, the aluminum will break or stretch enough so the bearings start slopping around and then you have trouble. This information comes from a dealer who sells them. <br>I could go on and on about why you should get a Dixie Chopper, but I won't. Just do yourself a favor and demo one before you buy a ZTR. If you want more info on them, email me, because I can't email you. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
  6. nickspropertymang

nickspropertymang LawnSite Member

I would demo everything you can. I have to agree with Eric on the aluminum spindles, they are just not holding up. I have the steel spindles on my Exmark and have never replaced a spindle yet. I would have to suggest strongly looking at Exmark mowers.
  7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

that why you should look at the toro z master.... all the advantages and quality of the exmark but with a toro decka and cast iron spindles that are greaseable.