Exmark questions ...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by facelessfriend, Feb 15, 2004.

1. facelessfriend

facelessfriend LawnSite Member

I have just started in this business part time last year. Having more customers this year I need to get a ZTR. I am not interested in walk-behinds.
    I posted i before regarding Gravely's new 34z at $4000. It's only 34". Most my lawns are small but I'm looking for 1/2 to 3/4 acre residential lawns. I took ( Bruce I think it was ) the advise and started looking at 42 to 44 inch ZTRs (no bigger). Money is tight as I plan to pay cash. I looked at encore ... but they seemed on the lower end of quality. Gravely has a 44" at $6500.
    I went to Wiengartz (dealer) and they had a Lazer CT - LCT4418KC for $4999 (44") . But the engine is a 18 hspr Koehler
    - SINGLE NOT TWIN . It is a lower profile and smaller casters in front and a little smaller frame that the Lazer HP. Has anyone used this commercially? What do you think about the 18 not being a twin piston?
    Now the Lazer HP LHP4417K is a little beefier (bigger casters) and frame with a twin 17hspr Kaw. It also has a better seat and a better air filter and still a 44" cut ... but it is $6499 (list is 7214) and I can get a free Redmax EB7001 backpack blower worth $500 or the cash ... $375.00.
    It's a stretch to buy the HP ... the CT would save me some cash.
    What do you experts think? The Gravely is the same as the Lazer HP ... so I'm leaning towards the Exmark .... help is needed.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Go Lazer HP 48" 20 Kohler for about 6800. Or do the 44 HP its better built then the ct. The ct is made for the home owner.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Heres the 48, There ia alot more deck and HP's to do half acre or bigger lawns.
    John

2345.jpg

4. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

$6500 for the Lazer 44" is too high. I bought a new 60" 23HP Kohler for $7100. Toro dealer here has 48" 18 HP Kohler for $4100. I would look around at some other dealers. You can beat those prices. Why not a walkbehind with a sulky? I love mine, I can do small yards walking and throw the pin through the sulky and do larger yards with no walking. It's a 48" Hyrdo Gravely. I bought it with only 18 hours for only $3000. I foyu will shop around, you will be surprised what you can find. A lot of dealers have some leftover last year's models cheap.

5. facelessfriend

I thought so as well. They will credit the blower but for only $375 ... still $6124.
    What could be a expected "good & reasonable price". I don't mind paying for top of the line product ... but I don't want to get ripped off either.
    Anyone else have a newer 44" lazer hp ... if you don't mind ... what did you pay (if purchased new).
    I live in Michigan ... Wiengartz are known to be high priced. Thanks

6. Mac V2.0

Mac V2.0 LawnSite Member
    from Mid OH

if your dealer doesnt make a profit, he wont be around and without your dealer your machine wont get serviced...so why would you want to take him and yourself out of business over a few hundred dollars?

7. Quality Cuts PLS

Quality Cuts PLS LawnSite Member

I purchased a Lazer Z HP 44", 20HP Kohler in December for $6550.00, including shipping for special order, mulch kit for $135.00, and Comfort Ride suspension platform for $199.00.
    I looked at Gravely, while a little cheaper, it is not the machine my Exmarks are, and there is no way the dealer is better than mine.
    My dealer does a lot to take care of me, and that means a lot more to me than saving a few bucks at purchase. Buy the Exmark, you will not regret it, also, if you take care of your dealer , he will take care of you.

8. facelessfriend

Mac ... I fully expect the dealer to make a "reasonable" profit. As I stated ... I'm new to this and I'm seeking advise of those of you who know what to expect. Example ... the government buys a toilet seat from a vendor for $600.00 ... is it worth it? There is
    a fine line to what is reasonable and what is not. My wife thinks I'm crazy for spending almost $7000 for a mower. I need to make sure she understands I did my homework. Hope that clears it up.
    Can you help?

9. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Ask yourself this.. If you buy something that is basically as cheap as you can get away with.. are you gonna end up with a machine that you grow out of in a year or so?
    That being said.... why not consider financing partially if the purchase of the right machine is gonna "hurt" you financially to pay cash?
    On the issue of the machines...... I have not seen a CT first hand, but I have an HP, and from what I see, I would not want a CT.... for ALL the reasons you mentioned.... right down to the seat.....and especially for the twin.
    If I were in your position... assuming you will only own one machine... I would buy a Hydro WB with a good sulky.
    The only reason I did not go that route myself was that I already owned the Scag WB (belt Drive) and I figured the ZTR was a better long term purchase.
    Note on the CT vs. HP... the '04 HP is listed as having the Ultra-Cut deck..... I wish my '02 did.... The CT has the Tri-Vantage.

10. Quality Cuts PLS

Quality Cuts PLS LawnSite Member

All Lazer HP's have Tri-Vantage decks, in 44", 48", and 52" sizes. Full-size Lazers have Ultra-Cut decks, in 52", 60", and 72" sizes.