Exmark Recall

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Charles, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I saw on the news where some models of exmark lazer were being recalled because the mufflers might cause a fire. I caught the tail end of the story. Got any info on it? I am supprised it hasn't been announced here.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Charles,

To date all registered owners of the effected Lazer HP's have been notified and the vast majority of the effected models have already been reworked. If anyone has a Lazer HP and is concerned that their mower needs to be updated they should contact their Exmark dealer for verification. Again this only effects a specific serial number range of Lazer HP's and none of the Lazer Z's. As with any safety issue we recommend that if you are unsure, ask.

Most of the issues with the Lazer HP recall have been covered in another thread:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=24547&highlight=*muffler*

If you have any further questions or comments pleae let us know.

Thanks

Terry

3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Unfortunately our company did not get any recall notice and our lead mechanic suffered a nasty injury on his forearm due to this problem. I found the notice on your web page from this site. That was a couple of days after the incident. The amount of metal embedded in his arm was amazing.

4. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Lanelle,

Embedded metal? :eek:

I thought the problem was a 'fire' issue. :confused:

What happened? Muffler explode?

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I got mine a long time ago and its been fixed for a while now.
    Best thing is, it makes the LHP much quieter.

6. eXmark

Lanelle,

Here is the CPSC letter, safety is the name of the game. This also helps explain what has happen.

Thanks, Fred.

For Immediate Release
    March 21, 2002
    Release # 02-126
    CPSC Media Contact: Yolanda Fultz-Morris (301) 504-0580 Ext. 1219 Exmark Recall Hotline: (800) 479-8379

CPSC, Exmark Manufacturing Announce Recall of Riding Mowers

WASHINGTON, D.C. - In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Exmark Manufacturing, of Beatrice, Neb., is voluntarily recalling about 21,000 Exmark-brand commercial-grade riding mowers. The riding mower's exhaust system can ignite fuel vapors from spilled fuel if the engine backfires.

Exmark has received 15 reports of fires caused when these mowers backfired and ignited nearby fuel vapors. At least one serious burn injury was reported, and two other users reported minor burns. Property damage has varied from minor damage to the machine itself to several thousand dollars damage to other mowing equipment stored nearby.

The recall includes Exmark-brand Lazer Z HP series riding mowers, which are red. They are equipped with 17 to 23 horsepower engines and have mowing decks from 44 to 52 inches. The mowers have independently controlled rear-drive wheels, front casters, and a centrally mounted mowing deck. The brand and series names (Exmark Lazer Z HP) appear on the front of the mower.

Exmark dealers nationwide sold these riding mowers between January 1998 and December 2001 for between $6,000 and $7,300.
    Consumers should immediately stop using these recalled mowers and contact Exmark or their local Exmark dealer to determine if their riding

mower's model numbers and serial numbers are included in the recall. The

model and serial numbers are visible from the right side of the unit. They are located on a decal on the right side of the controls console. If needed, the dealer will schedule a repair of the riding mower's exhaust system. For more information, contact Exmark at (800) 479-8379 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. CT Monday through Friday, or write an email to

service@exmark.com. Consumers also can go to the firm's web site at www.exmark.com

Some of these riding mowers previously were recalled in February 2001. Even if consumers previously had their riding mower repaired, they need to contact Exmark for this additional repair.

7. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

To eXmark and 65hoss,
    I have a Lazer Z HP with 21 HP Kaw engine. My recall work was done a few weeks ago. 65hoss says his unit now runs quieter than before. I am experiencing just the opposite. With the new, longer muffler pipe coming up so much higher, the exhaust noise is now far more noticeable. What's up? Should my machine be louder, quieter or the same as before?

8. eXmark

Larry Davis,

Well in theory adding the tail pipe on a unit should drop in a decibel level. The tail pipe will smooth out the exhaust pulses, which can lower the level.

We could relate just the opposite to your car, cut the tall pipes off your car and the decibel level most likely will increase. Probably one of the things a guy will notice also is a tone change.

Larry I can see now that the exhaust is higher that it is closer to the operators ear. I would believe you here a higher noise level especially if youÂ’re next to a building or car.

I think in most cases people will notice a change for the better.

Thanks, Fred.

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

My 23 kawi was very loud before. Now its much quieter. Even with it right behind me. Several others have noticed the change in my LHP.