Exmark reliability after ~1500 hrs??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DrFast1, Oct 16, 2008.

1. DrFast1

DrFast1 LawnSite Member

Hi guys.

After looking though past posts I notice some people saying not to buy/keep an Exmark Laser Z after the unit reaches ~1500 hours.

I am trying to get an idea of what Maintenance is MOST important for keeping a unit running past 1500 hrs (besides the obvious oil changes).

Anyone care to comment on Exmark's reliability post 1500 hours?

Thanks,

Nathan

2. djchiodo3

djchiodo3 LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of engine does it have? I have Exmark with 31hp Briggs Vanguard. 2800 hrs and still mowing strong. Have Kohlors with 2000 hrs and running strong. Once they were broken in I replaced oil and filter every 50 -60 hours. Use fully syn. 10w- 30

3. DrFast1

DrFast1 LawnSite Member

Model number: LZ28KC724

72" deck with 28hp Kohler Fuel Injected.

The unit is a 2005.

has Donaldson Air Filter

I hope this helps.

Nathan

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have saw folks with 2500 plus hours on original engine and some with new engines around 600 hours so there is a great variance. Mine only has 670 so far and I hope it goes a lot longer. I belive in this:
    1) change the oil often. I change mine every 25 hours, even though the manual says you can go longer.
    2) Keep the air filter clean, I blow mine out every day and change it when it gets where I can't see through it good.
    3) Blow off the engine cooling fins everyday. I have seen a lot of mowers with dirt/grass clogged up around them so bad you could not even see the engine!
    4) I also grease all the necessary fittings every 25 hours.

However, if you own a deere 737/757 none of the above applies as it will have catatrospic failure between 500-600 hours no matter what you do!

5. Genlandscape

Genlandscape LawnSite Member

Where did you hear this 1,500 hour rule, just curious 'cause I've never heard it. There is a reason there a more eXmarks out there than any other make.

6. thu cutting edge

thu cutting edge LawnSite Senior Member

i have a walk behind with a 16 hp briggs vanguard air cooled. it has 3568 hrs and burns no oil. and im not kidding it is used all the time and runs strong.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

After 1500hrs things on ALL mowers start to loosen up.

Be prepared for the following on any mower with 1500hrs:

Deck hanger wear.
    Deck strut wear.
    Idler arm wear (all 3 of them).
    Idler spring/mount breakage.
    Idler pulley bearings.
    Pulley wear in general.
    Spindle bearing wear.
    Caster wheel bearing wear.
    Hydro system wear.
    Belts, hoses.

If your OK replacing broken parts, they'll last forever.

There comes a time though, that you can trade in or sell and be working with new equipment PRIOR to any of the above happening. And that time varies with each piece of equipment.

8. MOHUSTLER

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

Stuff on EVERY mower after 1500 hours starts to wear down. Same as everything. Keep your fluids good and everything greased up and you will be fine. Most of the time if there hasnt been to many issues as of 1500 hours. Its not a lemon and you might have decent luck with it.

9. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

What reason would that be?

10. Genlandscape

Genlandscape LawnSite Member

Reason: Reliability, quality of cut, and reputation. I never said they were perfect (no such thing) nor did I put any other manufacturer down. I am partial to eXmark, and all I said is that more are out there than any others. I went to Hawaii last year and the LCO's there didn't know what an eXmark was.