1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark response is a joke.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by upsondown, May 25, 2004.

1. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

Yesterday morning I was ready to purchase an Exmark w/b. Called the dealer and was told they had none - wouldn't be getting any until after May 1 at the very earliest.... Called Exmark and got the same story - they were out of stock and wouldn't be able to provide units until then. I'm amazed with such raving and ranting about how good these units are - that absolutely no offer was even attempted to locate a unit and/or offer a substantial discount if I were willing to wait for one..... Am I the only one who would have expected more from them?
  2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

May 1? Its already May 25 where I am.

I've had similar dealings with my local JD dealer. I go in to get a mower and "Sure, we can hook you up! You can have your new mower in 3-5 weeks." What! Its only a 21' walk behind! Next!
  3. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure but could it be that the reason they are in such short supply is because of how good the machines are? Might be a possibility that the reason that no one would take a few minutes to try and locate a machine is that they had already looked for an earlier customer. You mention that none would be available until after may 1 yet your post is dated may 25?????
  4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I had to wait a week for my dealer to get a unit from another of their out of state stores. I doubt another dealer not in bussiness with yours will give up a machine with a shortage and high demand anyway. Getting a price break is also probably not in the cards for the same reason. Bottom line is if you want that great cut you will have to play by their rules.
  5. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Alot of times, with a "great selling" product, they really don't have the urge to as helpful, being that your individual purchase means nothing.
    I don't own an exmark, but i went to buy my wife a VW Jetta a few years ago, when they were selling a million a minute, and they offerd no haggling on price and told us and I quote...... "maybe you should go to a dodge dealer, where they're not selling so good. right now we aren't in a position to need to offer any type of deal." The service and attitude were horrible, and we were recommended by a friend who works there! My wife drives a 2000 neon.
  6. upsondown

oooooops - i meant June 1st.
  7. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

You can't wait 5 days for the mower. Its not like UPS can ship the thing next day air. I don't think that is to long to wait.
  8. upsondown

That is the "earliest" for production - then shipping ......2-3 weeks wait time.
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I think its more like your response is a joke. Wait a few days for a machine is to much for you? Give a discount? Why? Because they sell so many machines and you must wait a few days? Don't you think they have already looked for others, you are not the only person asking if they are a week behind on delivery. They may know it is faster to just wait than to go thru the hoops to get a machine from somewhere else. It may take 2 weeks the other way. More from them? Like what? You must be kidding. Wait 5 days for a machine that apparently must be good. They are in high demand.
  10. upsondown

obviously my expectations are more than anyone elses.