Exmark Ripped Off Walker Design

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mojob, Nov 18, 2007.

1. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

Wow! Talk about someone copying off the smart kid's paper. The Exmark Navigator is just a Walker painted red. Did they even come up with one original idea or did they just take a Walker and slap one of their stickers on the side. Look at their ad in this months Turf (page B7). If there was any truth in advertising it would read, "Just like the Walker, only cheaper". Just another example of the "Walmarts" of the world muscling their way into an already healthy market. As for me, I'll stick to the original YELLOW Walker.

2. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, that's what happens when the patents run out. You can't beat them, copy them!

3. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

Mojob,

I’m having trouble understanding your view point. I would like to understand why you feel eXmark has done something wrong. Are you saying that no one in the market should build from someone else’s ideas? If this is what you believe then wouldn’t we all be driving Fords or fly only in Wright Brother Airplanes. Taking someone else’s idea and building upon it has been the norm in this country for over two hundred years. To keep things fair for a new idea there are patient laws that in the most part have worked well for over two hundred years.

I’m even more confused on the “Walmart” comment.

Hey maybe I’m just confused!

Eric D

4. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

You ever look at a Walker and a Navigator side-by-side? MANY differances. And the Navigator has been out for a few years, why bring this up right NOW?

6. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Walker's mistake is while building a great cutting machine, they break too often and are a little too complicated in design. Exmark built a more heavy duty and less complicated machine opening the door. Walker should simplify their design. As Walker owners know often repairs are way too costly. Yes I've got 1000's of hours on Walkers, Exmark Explorers, Navigators Bobcat/Buntons version etc etc. I often wonder if anyone on Lawnsite has cut more grass than me (I'm sure some have). Maybe I should consider retirement.:confused:

7. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

being a walker owner, I ran the new exmark and really liked it. much more comfortable, deeper deck, better on hills. cut seemed nicer and the vac system was very nice. things i did not like, no other attachments!! I use my walker year round...ie snow blower, broom, etc. by the way henry, no one cuts more than I do. :)

8. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

"Just like the Walker, only cheaper". Just another example of the "Walmarts"

ahh not really, i dont think Exmark is anything like walmart..Exmark is a great company , theyhave great machines.

9. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

the exmark has a blade as well as a snowblower....

10. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just now bringing this up because of the ad I saw in Turf when I was flipping through it today. I never really looked at these machines closely before today and I couldn't get over how much they copied Walker. I don't have a problem with a company building on someone else's idea, but this is like Ford building a Corvette look-a-like and slapping a Ford emblem on it. The Walmart comment was referring to a huge company like Exmark, taking a slick idea that someone else came up with, and putting it on the market at a cheaper price. They are cheaper, aren't they? That's what I heard, anyway. I was a golf course mechanic for about ten years and worked on every brand and model of turf equipment and nothing was engineered as well as a Walker. IMO Looking at the Exmark and the Walker side by side, I can't see any difference at all. I can't imagine there would be much difference under the hood. And yeah, they do have a couple of attachments and, they too, look just like the Walker's. Why did it take Exmark so long to come out with this model? Could it have been a case of patent infringement? I guess the reason this bothers me so much is because I know the history of the Walker and live close to the Walker factory and took a tour through it. A simple farming family took an idea and built a great business from it and now some Johnny-come-lately is trying to cash in on their hard work and innovation. Just doesn't seem right to me. I'm not worried about Walker's future. They build a great machine and have happy customers all over the world. I just think it's shameful that someone would try to make a buck off someone else's idea, but that's just me. Maybe I'm letting my morals get in the way of making a quick buck.