1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark RPM and BT Speed

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by AltaLawnCare, Jun 30, 2003.

1. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

..for optimum cut.

I have my Lazer at around 3800 no load..

I've noticed less stringers by cutting back on the rpms to around 3500 under load (vs 3600+).

Is it possible the lift is too great, and its blowing the grass down under the blades?

I'm running excalibers notched foils. The deck has the anti blow-out baffle, OCDC, and striping roller, and cuts 1/2" lower than the indicator shows...I usually mow at 2.5" to 2.75" (actual height from floor by blade tool) any higher, and too many stringers! :(
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Take that Baffle out! I only use mine for leaves! It really doesn't do well in the growth we're having during our 4 month Spring!

This alone should SOLVE your problem 100%
  3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Are your bagging at all?

Does the OCDC change the performance when opened vs. closed?

Do you know what the actual measurement was between the blade tip and the ground on the front swing of the blade as well as the back swing?

If it's easier you can call me with the information at 800-667-5296 or e-mail me at terry.ecker@exmark.com.

4. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

TLS, I might try that.

OCDC ..doesn't matter if opened or closed. I thought about the deck pitch today, I need to re-check it. Whats optimal, 1/8" ?

Looks like I might have a rain day tomorrow, if I get time, I'll check it then, and report back.

Also, the ground speed doesn't matter when it does it, slow or fast, its the same.
  5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Optimal deck pitch or rake varies depending on the cutting conditions, but the recommended deck rake is between 1/8" and 1/4". When the grass is thick and lush, I'd stay closer to the 1/4" mark. You can put a little more rake in the deck (+1/8" to +1/4" depending on size of deck), but if you put too much rake into it, you may notice some streaking between the blades. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Here to help,

Exmark Customer Service