exmark rules this forum, BUT.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by btbej, Feb 23, 2004.

1. btbej

btbej LawnSite Member

I ran into a dealer that sells Encore 60" Prowlers 25HP for $7000, or I can get a Hustler Z for $6995, or I can get a 2003 Exmark Lazer Z 27HP for $7495.

Obviously I know that everyone will tell me to jump on the Exmark, but I am curious about the Encore Prowlers because if can save $500 now I need to. It is a little cheaper in price but how about cut, performance, and maintenance?

I have read a lot of threads and most of the encore threads are pretty old and I am not sure if Encore has changed any. Also I have read threads about most mowers are the same, but then you have people saying mowers such as encore, lesco, etc are junk.

Thanks ahead for any information...

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Exmark does not rule this forum. They just sell allot of mowers that we use.
    to answer your question DEMO! DEMO! DEMO!

John

3. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

If you can get the exmark at that price I would jump on it.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Thank you John...that is like saying the person with the most number of posts is the smartest one here btw.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would demo them if you can. I demoed a encore and it was a very nice mower, but i bought an exmark. The reason i did is because i do all of my own repairs other than major engine work, and buy parts from j-thomas aftermarket, so dealer support is not important to me. J-thomas has every part for my mower.

7. YLC1

YLC1 LawnSite Member

Does Encore have the articulating front axle?I had a Gravely that had the pivoting front end and it was different to mow with.Sometimes the rigid frame mowers can help out.I'm partial to Toro myself but I would take a look at Encore.

8. btbej

btbej LawnSite Member

The front end of the encore is the articulating floating deck. It seems like a well built machine....not sure about dealer support. There is one encore dealer around here (within 30 minutes) and one exmark dealer (within 20 minutes). I don't know... I bought a 36" Exmark walk behind last year and it back fired from day one and the dealer has yet to figure the problem out. He has only looked at it twice and they hope to get the problem solved this time.

Thanks for the response.....anymore insight would be appreciated!

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Based on the original post, why not save $5 more dollars and get the Hustler. One really well built machine. eXmark and Hustler are probably the best companies in the industry at this current time.