Exmark SCAG Hustler debate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by little mike, Jul 10, 2005.

1. little mike

little mike LawnSite Member

hey y'all since I always see everybody on this forum debating the which is better w/b ztr debate I was just wondering is this issue like the Ford Chevy Dodge issue or is Exmark better than SCAG or Hustler better than Gravely etc etc oh fyi I prefer Dodge nothing against Ford or Chevy they're good trucks to just my preference is all

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

yeah, it's much like that, but there's a lot more options. of course, everyone thinks that the one they own is best. lol. the truth, is that each one has a nich, and a place where they "are the best" people obviously like the machines, otherwise the company would not be in business. when you hear people refferring to "junk mowers" it really means that it won't take the absue I put my mowers through for a week.

3. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

ok, what is the difference and niches for each of the following:

exmark..........
    hustler..........
    scag.............
    dixie chopper..
    toro..............
    gravley..........
    kkubota.........

I am only asking this because everytime some asks wich is best, they say they all have different things they are good at (a ninch) well how many different things can there be. Cut quality.....Speed.......holding a hill.....Quality of product......

and do you really want a mower that is fast, holds a hill well, built tough but doesn't't cut grass worth a darn (like my new 72" dixie) because I don't.

So when I ask this question, what ztr is the best, In my mind I am asking which one has the best combination of cut quality, speed, quality of mower, serviceablity. and from what I have heard the exmarks do all the combo the best, have demoed one and that is the conclusion I have come to.

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

by nich, I mean that in different regions, and different grass types, each of the mowers do a better job than others at different things. some of the leaders in the industry are great all around, and are solid mowers, others have a weakness, but really perform in a different catagory. but each one has a purpose for the individual who owns it, or he wouldn't own it.

in some parts of the country, people swear by there dixies because the cut is soo good. in other parts, it's exmark, in others grashopper....

in other parts, the mower deck design just doesn't work for the use, and grass type that is being cut.

5. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing I have used is Scag. They cut great, but the stupid pistol grips absolutely kill your hands.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Cut Quality EXMARK, funstuff and hp's Scag 35hp turf tiger

7. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

I love my Tigers. Scag does need to invent new controls for their walkbehind. :)

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

What he said!!

John

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I think they are all good mowers. I hate to admit it but just the way they look has some bearing on which one I buy. Kind of like buying a car. One may preform as well or better but I just don't like the design or looks. I have never been crazy about the way the Dixies or Scags look even though I'm sure they are good mowers. I'm very impressed with build and design of both though.