Exmark, Scag, or Hustler walk behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scott's Lawn, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Scott's Lawn

Scott's Lawn LawnSite Member

I am looking into a used 36" walk behind mower for backyards with small gates. I'm looking into Exmark, Scag, or Hustler, primarily because of dealer support in my area. My primary concerns when buying a mower are cut quality, ease of use, and durability. I will mostly be mulching St. Augustine, centipede, and weeds. I also need it to be able to handle wet grass well. Which brand and model would you recommend?

2. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Demo what your looking at buying, that said I've ended with a Hustler walkbehind, the ease of operation did it for me. Best of luck!

3. Fencek

Fencek LawnSite Member

I agree. I've tried Hustler Trimstar and love it. I'll probably get one in the near future.

4. Scott's Lawn

Scott's Lawn LawnSite Member

How is the cut quality with the Trimstar from your experience? And which year is it?

5. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

My model is pre trimstar with a different deck. That said, the cut is pretty good. :drinkup:

6. Tizzy

Tizzy LawnSite Senior Member

i would go Hustler the trimstar is by far the easiest walk behind to use

7. MTenterprises

MTenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

I say Exmark. I have a 36" Viking and love it. It's a beast and sometimes I use it instead of my lazer because I love to work with it. I use a 2 wheel sulky most of the time I use it. It don't take any crap from 2 ft tall grass! :weightlifter:

8. RTR Landscaping

RTR Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a Scag guy but all three of these mowers are fine. If you can demo, buy the one you like. You really can't go wrong. You also might look at the best dealer for service and parts to make your decision.

9. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

Scag but I have to say that either of them will get the job done.

10. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

That Hustler 36" Trimstar has 2 different sized blades. Is the larger or smaller blade on the discharge side? How's the cut?