Exmark Sealed spindles....ummm

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hp8125, Apr 8, 2005.

1. hp8125

hp8125 LawnSite Member

Does anyone know of a conversoin kit for this. I recently upgraded my mowers and low and behold, no grease fittings. Heard they will last no more than two years. I have not had a chance to call my supplier but was wondering what you guys thought. I've already started to allocate funds to new spindles for when the need arrises. Any thoughts or suggestions would help.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

To my knowledge there is no conversion kit but you can drill and tap them from underneath the deck. I have done it and it does work.

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

sealed bearings arent a fad, they have been around for years. I dont see why anyone would want anything else. If they go bad just replace the bearings, but chances are it will be 4 or more years.

4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

When I worked at TGLC we got 2-3k hours out of the sealed spindles before we had problems.....

5. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

My Bunton has sealed bearings. Mower is 5 years old, I'm solo. 1500-2000 hours on the spindles. No problems yet.

6. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

5 years on my exmark lazer. same sealed bearings. Keep your blades balanced.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I've owned eXmarks since 2000, never one single bearing replaced in any machines. Just don't shoot pressurized water into the spindle areas.

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

1999 model)I have never sprayed water on the spindle and all mine went bad after 5 years. I dont even know how long they had been bad. I didnt hear any out of the ordinary noise. But anyway I got every cent of use out of them lol and now it runs like new

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Keep 'em in your Exmark.

I had 2 Ferris IS 4000. A 2002 and a 2003. Both had sealed bearings.

Both sets went out at 1200 hours, and of course 2 months after the warranty expired.

Personally, I won't buy a mower anymore with sealed bearings.

Sounds like maybe Ferris just had a "bad" setup though?

10. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

Like Richard Martin said ,drill them out ,tap them and put grease fittings in them and also pop the bearings out and pull the seal off the inside so the greas can penitrate the bearing,seen bearings last from 500 hours to over 2000.,this was done for cost efficent reasons for the manufacuters and so that they could sell new spindles and bearings,a greaseable bearing will neaver wear out if taken care of ,look at the aftermarkrt spindles they have fittings in them