Exmark shutting down

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Gabby, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Gabby

Gabby LawnSite Member

Not my machine, friends, but here goes. About a 5-6 year old 52" Exmark Z with either a Kohler or Briggs engine, I think it is a Briggs. Can mow for a while then it will shut off. Starts right back up and will run for a while then does the same thing again. Replaced the fuel filter but still does the same thing. Electrical? Fuel Pump? Any ideas/experiences? Thanks.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Probably a Kohler. I don't think Exmark was using Briggs back then. Just Kawi and Kohler. Anyway...

Your friend is resetting something when he restarts the mower. I suspect one of the safety switches is going bad. I have a Lazer Z electrical manual here somewhere and if you can't fix it I'll try to dig it up.

3. mjlcare

mjlcare LawnSite Member

we had that prob with a lesco, kawi engine and it was the fuel pump $8 part and just fix it

hope thats the problem

4. Marek13

Marek13 LawnSite Member

Check with him and see if its Briggs, If it is its $10 -I had the same exact issue on my walk behind blower with Briggs (look at the carb-it will have a round bowl with float inside once you take it apart you will see needle once you take it apart there is a small rubber O-rind (or it looks like a round rubber with a hole in the middle) this part is bad or clogged.
    what it happening it the hole is blocked and does not let the fuel in as fast so Engine will run as long as there is the fuel in the carb bowl once this is done it will die and then slowly the fuel will fill the carb bowl and then it will start again and run as lone as there is fuel in carb bowl
    Try it and you will see (that it is if its Briggs Engine)-

briggs.jpg

5. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Gabby, Is it a Kohler, please post M# and S# and engine spec if possible, when you say it shuts down, is it like turning of the key, or does it die a slow gasping (no fuel) death?

6. Gabby

Gabby LawnSite Member

I just went and took a look at it. Yeah it is a 21 HP Kohler engine on his Exmark 52" Lazer Z rider. He says it will run for 15 - 20 minutes or so and then it spits and sputters and shuts off. He fires it back up and can mow a few more rows and it does the same thing and will keep doing it the entire time. Then next time he goes to use it the same thing. It takes 15-20 minutes and then it starts the shutting down routine again. Appreciate the replies so far. Keep them coming as he has it in his shop right now and we will take a look at it with all your suggestions. Thanks.

7. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Remove the gas cap and run it, if it doesn't die, replace the gas cap.
    Take a flash light and look into the tank and see if there is junk in there, the pick up might be partially clogged Clean the tank out.
    Make sure that the fuel shut off is completely open.:)
    Let me know if any of this was of help. Good Luck

8. rclopez1118

rclopez1118 LawnSite Member

Has to be a Kohler. I would`nt think a company like Exmark would even think of adding a Briggs on a 52". Check the Ign coils or coil for spark after it shuts down (if you have the right tool for that). The famous for coil failures.

9. mc752000

mc752000 LawnSite Member

My exmark was doing that just recently and it was the electrical module. They changed it out and works like a charm now.

10. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

What it was on my tracer. :waving: