1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark: Small ZTR or Walk behind. Help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KB, Mar 6, 2006.

1. KB

KB LawnSite Member

In 2000, I bought an Exmark Turf Tracer 48"/17Kaw. I LOVED the mower and the quality of the cut, but I wanted a bigger/better toy so I sold in and in 2001 bought an Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"/23Kaw. I loved it too and although I was always pleased with the cut, I actually lost a job because the lady did not think that it was as good a cut as with the walk behind. It did "dip" a little on slopes leaving the lines in the lawn where the TT did not. Anyway, I am no longer in the business (it was part time) but I do want a mower for home use. I plan on keeping whatever I get until I go to the grave, but if I did have neighbors who wanted their lawn mowed, I would for a little extra cash. Would you go walk behind again (better quality of cut and lower price) or small rider (more expensive but easier on me as I get older)? Do you feel that a walk behind provides the better cut? In live in N. Georgia and their terrain varies from flat to very hilly. Thanks!
  2. bwilder10h

bwilder10h LawnSite Member

I don't think one mower cuts better than the other because it's a rider or a w/b. It has more to do with deck design, blade sharpness and how fast you are going.

Personally, I would stick with a w/b because they do cut nice and the same deck on a Z would cost you double the money.

Just stay away from Toro super flow decks. I have one on my 44" w/b and it sucks. If I could do it over, I would get an Exmark.
  3. EXspyguy

EXspyguy LawnSite Member

Check out Exmark's new phazer ztr. Price is in line with a TTHP.

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Isn't An Exmark Technicaly The Same Thing As A Toro Except For Minor Differences?
  5. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

What part of GA are you from KB? I'm in Cartersville- about 40 miles north of Atlanta on I-75.

If you liked the cut of the 48 WB, I'm sure you would love the cut of the 48 Lazer hp.
  6. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

My belt drive 36 metro cuts just as beautiful as the 60 Lazer. The 60 obviously looks nicer because there are less passes. As far as quality of cut, when I first started all I had was the metro and It cuts awesome, alot more work and the machine will beat you up a bit.

As long as there are sharp blades my Metro, Lazer HP, and Lazer all cut awesome.
  7. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

The frames are the same & I believe the drive system is the same. The difference that I know is different is the decks are completely different. I tried them both & I thought they both cut excellent great. They were both 60" decks. I bought the Exmark only because of the dealer.
    As far as which one to buy the walk behind is lighter so not as much compaction & it is easier to control on smaller lawns. But they are not as fast & the ZTR can carry a bigger bagger if you are into that.

Mike Immel
    Mike's Total Lawn Care