Exmark...spindle bearing question.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by o-so-n-so, Jan 14, 2006.

1. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Has anyone experienced replacing the spindle bearings without removing the mowing deck from the mower?

Its looks to be fairly easy to get to from top and bottom. I have a Lazer (60") and a TTHP (48") that will get all new bearings this off season. Starting to whine just a little.

2. mkjsunscapes

mkjsunscapes LawnSite Member

You might want to check with your mower shop. When we had bearings go on the spindles, they wouldn't sell just the bearings. They said we had to buy the whole bell housing with top and bottom bearings complete. Maybe they just didn't want to mess with changing them.

mike

3. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I replaced bearings on two spindles on my 2003 tthp this fall. Just get bearing numbers off the bearings when you drive off the old ones.

4. Ellis Lawn Care

Ellis Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I have changed the bearings without removing deck not that bad to do. Do you have the bearings? You can buy them from motion industries in birmingham off of 31st street.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have replaced spindle bearings on my Exmark Viking several times (it has completed eight seasons, about 800 hrs/season). The first time, getting the bearings out of the housing was difficult, but now, each bearing set can be replaced in about an hour (pulling the pulley, taking off the housing, knocking out old bearings, cleaning all parts, getting new bearings put into place, replace the housing, remounting the pulley). Other mowers may have more difficult access to the housings.

I'm not an experienced mechanic, nor do I have very good tools. I'm sure somebody who is more familiar and has better tools can do the job even more quickly.

6. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I have alot of Outdoor Equipment mechanic experience but most is on John Deere equipment.

Can I replace the bearings without removing the deck or spindle housings? I want to just pop off the pulley's, tap out the shaft and tap out the bearings while everything else is still attached.
    I think I can do it fairly easy from just looking at everything.

Remove step decks and pulley covers, remove belts, remove pulley's, jack up mower slightly, remove blades (not necessary), tap out shafts with brass, remove keepers if it has any, tap out bearings, blow everything clean, clean shafts and lube, replace bearings, replace shafts, blades, pulley's, belts, decks and covers.

Might just photo this whole thing and share it with lawnsite.:)

ellis, thanks for that info. I go right by MI every night.

mkjsunscapes, thats why I don't like some of the crap the dealers do. I know if the housing manufacture can buy the bearings, so can I. My vermeer dealer tried to pull that crap on me with a gearbox. Wouldn't sell me a $5.00 oil seal but wanted $1600.00 for the whole gearbox. Na, Na. My gearbox was fine, it just leaked a little. Found the seals locally and done the repairs myself.

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

From my experience, your idea will not work because there is no "tapping" to get the bearing out. I learned it requires a solid base with heavy blows with a large hammer. Leaving the housing mouted on the deck will not permit easy access for hammer, punch, etc. I'm not sure how your housing/bearning is assembled, but most likely you will need to remove one bearing from one end of the housing, the other one from the other end. The removal is difficult under controled circumstance, without trying to get decent blows in an awkward position.

How many bolts hold the spindle housing to the deck? Mine is held with four bolts, all easily and quickly taken out. There is no reason to remove the deck -- just the bolts holding the housing. Once you have housing in hand, then you can take it to a workbench and vise. This will enable you to position in the best way to drive out the bearings. I was told the best way is to press them out with a press, but I don't have one. The first time I took mine out, I took the housing (with old bearings in place) to two machine shops with presses. But, neither of them could make their press units work with my housing. They didn't have an tools for the press that would get to the right position.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you have a Toro dealer nearby they have the bearings listed. Just tell them you need Toro bearing number "insert Exmark bearing number here". My buddy has two Exmark Lazer Zs and we replaced the bearings in them last fall. He tried to get them from Exmark but as was said above Exmark wanted to sell him whole new assemblies along with new pullies since the old pullies wouldn't fit the new assemblies.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you have a Toro dealer nearby they have the bearings listed. Just tell them you need Toro bearing number "insert Exmark bearing number here". My buddy has two Exmark Lazer Zs and we replaced the bearings in them last fall. He tried to get them from Exmark but as was said above Exmark wanted to sell him whole new assemblies along with new pullies since the old pullies wouldn't fit the new assemblies.

10. viper00085

viper00085 LawnSite Member
    from NC/VA

yes you can def repl the bearings with the spindles still on the deck. its actually easier that way.. Just get your self a big snap ring plier to remove the large snap ring in the bottom of the spindle housing. and then drive out your bearings with a large punch or seal driver kit. exmark does not sell just the bearings anymore, they have a kit with the hsg and new brgs. BUT the bearings are still avail thru the toro [part number of 1-513016 sep.

Just be careful pulling the pulley off, specially if its the new style thin metal type. they bend easy.

Good luck