Exmark Spindle Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Andrew's Lawn Maintenance, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Andrew's Lawn Maintenance

Andrew's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Member

I currently own a exmark lazer z hp that has a new humming sound.

2. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

all mine humms really loud too. they always say they think they here a plane passing over there house, then it never goes away. so they look outside and its me. whats your point bud:confused:

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

see the exmark forum on here, there are several posts about exmark spindle bearings going out at around 250 hours.

4. Andrew's Lawn Maintenance

My machine is brand new and only has 150 hours on it. Have owned a exmark before but never have hered this whistling, humming noise before. Triton deck.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Are you getting a vibration?

6. Andrew's Lawn Maintenance

Not really. I sharpen and balance the blades at least 1 time every week or every 15 hours

7. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

when my spindles go out it sounds like metal against metal. when you raise or lower throttle the noise will go up and down with it. the back spindle i was able to take my hand and wobble the whole pulley. dont know about the sides though.

8. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I've heard my mower hum really loud if the baffles aren't clear of grass buildup.

9. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you get the noise with the blades clutch disengaged?
    This would tell you if it's a spindles or the engine/transmission problem...

10. mudwisr2

mudwisr2 LawnSite Senior Member

Different blades, new blades, numerously sharpened blades, etc. can all lead to different pitched sounds coming from the deck. If you dont have vibrations or excess heat buildup on the pulleys I wouldnt worry much about it. Keep the deck clean and there should be little to worry about.